Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 vs. 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spencerjw, Oct 8, 2001.

1. spencerjw

spencerjw Registered Member

I am buying (tomorrow) a prestinely kept 86 Blazer K5 with a 305 in it. I have seen may K5's for sale in the paper with rebuilts dropped under the hood (as well as for the tranny). What would it take/cost for a rebuilt 350 to be put in it when the time comes that it needs a new engine? Are there any problems putting a 350 in place of the current 305? Besides normal driving around town and such, where will I notice the biggest power loss from the 305? I really have nothing to pull behind it and I'm not planning on doing a whole lot of 4-wheelin' till next spring maybe. So I'm guessing that right now the only difference I should really notice with the 305 is better gas mileage.

Comments/Suggestions?

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer\@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

2. my experience tells me you won't get much better mileage with a 305.

run it 'till it smokes worse than a mosquito fogger truck, then drop a nice targetmaster 350 in it's place. about all you may have to change is the carb (different jetting, right?)....

greg

3. spencerjw

What are we talking cost wise for that engine?

P.S. WTF is wrong with my sig? Why isn;t the email link thing working correctly?

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer\@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by spencerjw on 10/08/01 09:29 PM.</FONT></P>

4. oh yeah. the 350 feels stronger all over than the 305, with emphasis off the line.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For your use, if your 305 works, I'd leave it alone. When it comes to swap time, go for a good 350.

IMO, 305s don't get any better mileage than 350s either. They just make less power generally, and their heads are useless over 4500 RPM.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Take the \ outta your email addy spencer\@winegarden.org then type it [ email ]spencer@winegarden.org[ /email ] but with no spaces in there and it should work.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;

7. spencerjw

Thank you, so I am guessing that the "help" file for this forums markup language was wrong?

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by spencerjw on 10/09/01 06:36 AM.</FONT></P>

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have an 85 with a 305 in it. I am running 35" tires. I drive it 50 miles roundtrip to work 2-3 days a week, mostly on the highway (sometimes stop'n'go, sometimes just stop, other times just go). There is an overall performance lag from the 350, but I wouldn't swap it just yet. Wait until you have issues with it, then swap it. I even use mine to pull a 4,000 pound boat from time to time.

I plan to drop a 350 in mine next spring. I will be replacing a bunch of other stuff when I do it. And I am buying a nice long block. It isn't a crate engine and isn't a 400HP+ kind of thing either. Just a good, solid, 350. I estimate its total cost to be around $2000. That will include new intake and exhaust manifolds, new carb, new fuel/oil/water pumps, new distributor as well as some other smalled things as well as the long block.

Right now I wheel with my 305 and drive it daily. If the gearing is right for your size tires, it will work fine for you. Put your money other places first, and plan your engine build up right for the way you want to drive it. Thing ahead and long term.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah the FAQ is messed up... so don't go by what most of it says... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;