Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

307 Timing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyDan, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ChevyDan

ChevyDan Registered Member

Hi all ! you have been helpful so far, so here goes.. 307 Olds '88 Gutlass Supreme I got the distributer loosened, got the timing light on the harmonic balancer (or so I think) but dont see a timing point on the balancer. Am i retarded ? Please Help !!

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

a lot of time they are hard to see because of rust. Trun it over by hand and look for a slot in the blancer that is the mark clean it up a little and paint it whit to make it easy to see

3. ChevyDan

Thanks for the quick reply.. Mine is actually pretty easy to see, but there isnt any line for me to see on it. This is the first time I have set my timing with a light (obviously) I usually just do it by ear... I have been under my car for like 2hours trying to find the timing mark on the harmonic balancer... what exactly am I looking for, could I possibly be that far off to where I'm not even looking at the harmonic balancer.. I've been told that you can see it from the top of the motor on the drivers side, but my understanding is the harmonic balancer is what comes off the crank, before all the pulleys and I cant see it from the top of the motor. Please help, thanks !

4. ChevyDan

ttt Anyone know exactly what the timing point on an olds 307 harmonic balancer ? pretty please? ;-)

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you even see the timing tab?

(Shame on me) It's been so long since I messed with my Oldsmobile that I can only vaguely recall the timing setup on the front...

The timing tab is bolted on, plastic your year. If you can't see that, obviously you've got another problem. :) The 307 later years also used a "balancer" that was just a chunk of metal, and it's pretty darn thin, so I can see it being hard to see.

You are right though, drivers side you should be able to see it. Try leaning over the front bumper on that side though, instead of from the fender.(?)

'88, that's got that highly desirable "euro" front end. Last year of the "good" Cutlass. :)

6. ChevyDan

Thanks Dorian, I will go take a look.. your right, its a chunk of metal, and its really small.. its like 2" on the side of the harmonic balancer, like CAST into it.. at least, thats what I think I am looking at.. If thats the timing point, (that hunk of metal) should I chalk it up white and use that as my timing point? I feel retarded.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Eh, this is where I am at a loss...I can't recall what they used as a timing mark on the balancer. I'm relatively certain that it is going to be machined into the balancer, a slot.

If this thing is still CCC, you are pulling the timing connector, right? None of mine have been CCC, so I'm not certain timing is set like any of the EFI GM stuff, but I suspect yes.

If the vehicle is running, you can always check timing with the light, see how close to TDC it is with what you think is the timing mark. (IE, if you get 8* using what you think is the timing mark, your assumption is probably right) Obviously it can't be too far off if the engine runs decently. If it's not running, pull #1 plug, turn it over until you feel compression, make sure piston is at TDC, and then look for the timing mark. Unless it's thrown the timing chain (exceedingly common with the nylon timing gear teeth) or the thing was put together wrong if messed with, the balancer mark will line up.

8. ChevyDan

Dorian - Thank you.. That helped me out a lot, great advice.. I found it, marked it and believe timed it correctly.. At the least, it doesnt diesel anymore when I shut it off..