Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

31 to 40 gallon tank swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Igorr, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Igorr

Igorr Registered Member

Anyone out there actually changed from a 31 to the longer 40 gallon tank in a suburban? Which, or both of the supports must be moved?

Les

2. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I just yanked my 40 gallon out and put a 30? in the bed of my burb cause I chopped 16'' of the back of it . Looking at the frame rail when I had the tank out and the rear bumper removed I could see the is some other factory holes where you could relocate your rear tank mount forward . the mount can be removed by removing the factory rivots and just using bolt's to install the mount in it's new location . I still have my 40 gallon tank + straps and the heavy duty factory skid plate if you want it and they are in great shape (no rust). It's your's free but you would have to come and get it ( I'm in Milwaukie,Oregon ). the 30 and 40 gal use the same sending unit . It cost a lot of money to fill that 40 gal :eek1: . Hope that help's .

3. Igorr

Igorr Registered Member

Thanks, thats what I was thinking except that I could only see one of the rivet holes on each side due to the receiver hitch covering them up. Thanks for the offer on the tank, I already have one over here I just have to pick up. Hmmm, now to decide whether to do a ORD shackle flip at the same time.

Les

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are going to do the shackle flip you will end up dropping the tank anyway. Same for the reciever. Do it all at once. :waytogo:

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

darn i could really use a 40gal tank, ive only got a 26 now. wish ya'd ship it :D if you decide you could, shoot me a pm and we'll talk about it :D

6. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I shot ya a pm with a cost via ups ground . My burb was a 3/4 ton trailer towing special so I guess that's why the big a$$ tank . I wish I could have found the smaller 26 gal at the bone yard for my burb . I put the 31 gal tank in the bed like you would a fuel cell and built a cage around it . That big 40 was just waiting to smash a rock . the factory skid plate is 1/8 thick so it would help protect it some what but It's one less thing for me to worry about when wheeling and not to mention the fact that it cost a $100 + to fill :eek1: . good luck .