Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

31's, 33's, 0r 35's....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Apr 5, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

31\'s, 33\'s, 0r 35\'s....

I have a big decision to make. I own an '81 Blazer and I really want big tires. I've given up bodywork till later when I can afford to do it properly so I've turned my attention elsewhere. I will have enough money for 31" tires in the next paycheque, I'll have enough for 33" tires after another paycheque. The 35's would have to wait probably another month or month and a half. The thing is, I'm going off the university this fall and I don't want to completly waste my money. Do you think I should just go for the 31" tires or go bigger and go to the 35's? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Re: 31\'s, 33\'s, 0r 35\'s....

Defentally go with 33's or the 35's
    If you cant afford to lift and still running 1/2ton with and not having low gears I wouldent go with the 35's but 33 would be good

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

31's are a wast in my opinion i would go with either 33's or 35's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    31's are a wast in my opinion i would go with either 33's or 35's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. get 35's if you can afford it, nothing sucks more than being broke /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Rustbucket-

Your post takes me back to the good ole' college days of party's, lot's o-wheelin and NO MONEY!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif tons of fun though! Anyway, I agree that the 31's are a waste of money. Though it may take you another week or two, or month for that matter, save up and get the 33's or 35's. I did a ton of wheelin in my '80 K10 at that time, with a 2" lift and 35's, running 3.07 gears with a 350,350,205. I did have some engine work done, and could break them loose, but it was nothing extraordinary. Sure had a blast though with that truck, and as money came in, other mods and improvements came, till it was a respectable rig. Many guys will tell you that the tires won't fit unless you go 4" or bigger, or hack the hell out of the fenders, or that stock gearing will suck- while parts of that may be true, you can get by. I ran 35x12.5x15 Land Rovers at first, then switched to the same size in BFG Mudders after that, and stuck with them from then on out. They ran good, did well all around, and were very street friendly, lasting quite a while with proper air pressure and rotations.

I guess another question is, what exactly do you plan on doing with the rig? I realize being in college, you will want to wheel it, but at the same time, will be broke and probably won't be doing anything too extreme. You mention waiting on body work till later, so maybe in an effort to save a little money now for school, try the 33's with a little fender trimming, then save for a small lift (4" or less) over the next months or so, whatever it takes. You'll be able to run the 33's fine and if you get something like a BFG mudder/all terrain, or some other similar make (nothing like a bogger), they'll last you a good couple years or more through school. As money comes in, you'll be able to get that lift, then step up to the 35's as your money, and skill level improve.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, so you know what that's worth. I wish you the Best though with whatever you decide, and with school as well for that matter.

Best of Luck,

Mike

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

35s and there not much more than 33s

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

IMO I say keep saving for the 35's ....it's better to do it once then do it twice...

justin

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Definately get the 35's. Even after you get them, you'll wish you had gone bigger. 31's would be a waste IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

"get 35's if you can afford it, nothing sucks more than being broke"

i say 33's at most
    35's will destroy your power without regearing, and stress parts on your truck, transmission, gears, steering, it will decrease your brakes ability to stop your truck, not to mention kill your gas mileage and increase your center of gravity, therefore increasing the risk of a roll over.

it depends on the kind of wheeling you do, or expect to do.

i have 33's on my truck, but could get by with 31's easily. The real difference in these three tires is just the look, it wont make a huge difference in ability to have that extra 2 inches of tire if you are a capable driver. not to mention all the extra things you put your truck at risk for when increasing the tire size.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i say 33's at most
    35's will destroy your power without regearing, and stress parts on your truck, transmission, gears, steering, it will decrease your brakes ability to stop your truck, not to mention kill your gas mileage

[/ QUOTE ]
    i second this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

31" BFG's work for me.

12. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "get 35's if you can afford it, nothing sucks more than being broke"

i say 33's at most
    35's will destroy your power without regearing, and stress parts on your truck, transmission, gears, steering, it will decrease your brakes ability to stop your truck, not to mention kill your gas mileage and increase your center of gravity, therefore increasing the risk of a roll over.

it depends on the kind of wheeling you do, or expect to do.

i have 33's on my truck, but could get by with 31's easily. The real difference in these three tires is just the look, it wont make a huge difference in ability to have that extra 2 inches of tire if you are a capable driver. not to mention all the extra things you put your truck at risk for when increasing the tire size.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was initially going to say 35's. . .but he does have a point. if you're in school and money will be tight go with the 33's not too much of a difference from the 35's but enough to notice.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Get the 33s. IMO 35 is too much for stock 1/2 ton drivetrain. Espically if you have 3.08 gear ratio.
    If money is an issue check out Wall Mart super sport tires(made by Goodyear/kelly). Their 33" 12.50x 15 MTs are only around $115. Ea. I have a set of 33" MTs. They are a pretty good tire. been running them for 3 years and still have good tread left. They hook up good off road too.

14. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get the 33s. IMO 35 is too much for stock 1/2 ton drivetrain. Espically if you have 3.08 gear ratio.
    If money is an issue check out Wall Mart super sport tires(made by Goodyear/kelly). Their 33" 12.50x 15 MTs are only around $115. Ea. I have a set of 33" MTs. They are a pretty good tire. been running them for 3 years and still have good tread left. They hook up good off road too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm still learning about this stuff so can you explain what you mean by "too much". It sounds like he will be using it as a daily driver, will stuff break just driving around with 35 tires? Or is it too much if he will be doing a lot of wheeling? I understand the gearing thing but is there that much difference between the 33-35 tires. Thanks

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm still learning about this stuff so can you explain what you mean by "too much". It sounds like he will be using it as a daily driver, will stuff break just driving around with 35 tires? Or is it too much if he will be doing a lot of wheeling? I understand the gearing thing but is there that much difference between the 33-35 tires. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    i have the 700R4, used to have 3.73 and 35's and didnt like the power band on the streets. or on hills on the freeway, anywhere that needed power it was lacking. so 35's and anything under 4.56 is power lacking

16. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]
    i have the 700R4, used to have 3.73 and 35's and didnt like the power band on the streets. or on hills on the freeway, anywhere that needed power it was lacking. so 35's and anything under 4.56 is power lacking

[/ QUOTE ]

So 35" should be no problem on a daily driven rig as long as the gears are right? I have a th350 and was going to use 4:11's.

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So 35" should be no problem on a daily driven rig as long as the gears are right? I have a th350 and was going to use 4:11's.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes for a daily driven 35's are fine IMHO and light wheeling.

18. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I went with 33's on my DD.

The old tires were worn to about 31 and when I went to 33's, I really noticed the drag on the vehicle. 33's will fit with no lift. Im running 4,73's if/when I go to 35's, ill have to regear.

Go with 33's

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok I'm still learning about this stuff so can you explain what you mean by "too much".

[/ QUOTE ]
    I mean that the tires are too tall and to heavy for stock 1/2 ton stuff. A 35 inch tire is a lot of unsprung weight that puts a lot of stress on axles, Ujoints, and spyders and brakes. Besides I dont think you can fit 35 without a lift or getting out the sawsall. I'm sure you could get away with 35s in a DD street mostly street truck but why take the chance. If you have 3.08 gears and 35" tires it will kill your acceleration and gas milage.
    As for the guys who are recomending the 35" tires on this post. Take a look at their sigs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. They are all running 3/4 ton or 1 ton running gear. 35" and bigger are fine for them. They can get away with it no problem.
    35s will eventually kill 1/2 ton stuff if you use it off road.
    True there isn't too much diference between 33" and 35". But there isn't much diference between the load of straw. And the straw that broke the Cammel's back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The main reason I recomended 33" tires to the poster is. He said he wanted Bigger tires. I think 33s are the largest tire you can safely and reliably get away with on 10 bolts. With 33" tires and 3.73 10 bolts I go thru U joints pretty regularly. But the rest of my drivetrain is holding up just fine. I use my truck hard.

20. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I mean that the tires are too tall and to heavy for stock 1/2 ton stuff. A 35 inch tire is a lot of unsprung weight that puts a lot of stress on axles, Ujoints, and spyders and brakes. Besides I dont think you can fit 35 without a lift or getting out the sawsall. I'm sure you could get away with 35s in a DD street mostly street truck but why take the chance. If you have 3.08 gears and 35" tires it will kill your acceleration and gas milage.
    As for the guys who are recomending the 35" tires on this post. Take a look at their sigs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. They are all running 3/4 ton or 1 ton running gear. 35" and bigger are fine for them. They can get away with it no problem.
    35s will eventually kill 1/2 ton stuff if you use it off road.
    True there isn't too much diference between 33" and 35". But there isn't much diference between the load of straw. And the straw that broke the Cammel's back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The main reason I recomended 33" tires to the poster is. He said he wanted Bigger tires. I think 33s are the largest tire you can safely and reliably get away with on 10 bolts. With 33" tires and 3.73 10 bolts I go thru U joints pretty regularly. But the rest of my drivetrain is holding up just fine. I use my truck hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Here is what I think I am understanding. A stock 1/2 should probably have no more than 33" to avoid to much wear and re-gearing. Since I am not really using this as a trail rig (3/4 poser /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) I can get away with the 35"s and a 4" lift but need to be aware that parts will wear much faster and very fast if I decide to wheel a lot.