Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

32 Spline SM465 to 32 Spline NP205...anyone got this setup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, May 22, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone has this setup and what is needed to do it? Thanks, Pete.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What parts do you already have?

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what is involved in converting a '90 4spd w/ NP241 to a NP205 but I've received very little response here. I'm 90% sure that a '85 and newer 4spd (w/ 32 spline tailshaft) would fit an '80 205 from a TH400 using the older, longer 4spd adapter. I'm working with these specific parts because I already have them.

Also, for good reference info see the NP205 tech article on the Off Road Design home page. Good pics of the 2 female 205 input shafts.

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Right now I do not have anything for this setup, I am trying to see if anyone has done it and how they made it work. If you get the setup together let me know. Thanks, Pete.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 465 has the 32 splines started in something like '82 or '83.

But the 205 was not made to fit the 32 spline 465 until '85, when they switched to the 6 bolt round pattern adaptors.

You can use any '85-'91 205 behind any '82 or '83 and newer 465 providing you use the correct adaptor.

The K30's were the trucks to use this 32 spline setup on the 205's.

The best thing about this setup is, if you have an automatic and want to convert to a manual, all you have to do is get the 465 and adaptor and reuse the t-case. No swapping internal parts.
    And vice versa if you want to run an automatic from the 465. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. nvrenuf

Wes, have you ever tried mixing years like I mentioned above ('90 4spd to an '80 TH400 205 and '80 4spd adapter)?

Thanks for the help!

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No I haven't but they will not work.

The 10 spline 465 output shafts stick out something like under 2".

The 32 spline 465 output shafts stick out a lot longer, something like around 6" to 8", but I'm not exactly sure how long.

If you tried to use a 32 spline 465 on an older (pre-'85) 205 and used the adaptor, you will still come up short on the shafts.

7. buick528

buick528 Registered Member

what about swapping in shafts.how much do they cost compared to getting a whole new unit.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so basically all you need are a bunch of measurements of adapters and shaft stickouts and coupler lengths?
    I have images galore but very few with a tape measure.
    there were some pics with a tape measure in every shot linked from here twice now but I am not sure if I grabbed them as they were auto stuff.
    post what measurements you know and perhaps the peanut gallery can fill in some blanks
    (why cant U2SLO still be here to help us why why why)

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Well I just got a case without an adapter, going to call some yards up to see what they have. Hopefully it will be a pretty easy swap. Let's keep this post alive and see if anyone else has any input on this. I would like to see if Stephen has any input on this subject

10. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

where did you get the case??
    how much did you have to pay for it???
    the local junkyard here is putting out a search for me tomarrow for one.
    just don't want to pay to much.

thank's

dave

11. nvrenuf

Ok, here are some measurements off of some parts I've got;

84 and older TH400 to NP205 adapter = 4" thick.
    84 and older SM465 to NP205 adapter = 6 15/16" thick.
    84 and older NP205, for a TH400 application, input shaft sticks out 1 9/16" from the case gasket surface.
    84 and older Th400, for a NP205 application, tailshaft sticks out 4 1/2" from the from the case gasket surface.

Alright, does anybody have any other measurements for the transmissions, transfer cases or adapters? I agree let's keep this going and cover as much as possible.

12. captain chaos

do you have a 205 for a 400 forsale???????????????????????????????????

dave

13. nvrenuf

Sorry, but no. My 400/205 combo is out right now but as soon as I can afford to get the 400 rebuilt it will go back in.

Just a suggestion, if you already have any other 205 I would look seriously at buying the parts to convert it to the 32 spline input. That is what I did with my first one, it is real easy and I have never had any trouble with it.

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Got the case from a friend for $100 without an adapter.

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Found this on the ORD site.

<font color=blue>Last is the "long" 32 spline female input gear. This is far less common than the "short" 32 spline input outlined above, but is as strong and durable. This gear will stick out of the 205 case by about 3 1/2". <font color=red>This was used behind later model SM465 trannies and later TH400 trannies, from about '85 to '91 in straight axle 1-ton trucks</font color=red>. Proper shaft stickout from the TH400 is 2 1/2", and the proper SM465 output is the later model 32 spline output shaft with the round bolt pattern adapter housing. This gear will not work with the GEN2 Doubler, but is easily replaced with the short 32 spline input gear.</font color=blue>

So they did make a 465 mated to a 205.

16. captain chaos

SORRY yunit, quess i haven't been paying attention as to what you are looking for.
    YES they have a factory 465/205.... as i have one in my 87 crew cab one ton. they have the long shaft and also the adaptor is longer then the old 10 spline setup.
    i don't know for sure what years this setup is in but i do know it is in my 87.
    also if you have a turbo 400 with a short adaptor ( don't know what from) this transfer will bolt right up. i have the adaptor from 400 to round 205/208 pattern and mine went right on. but i was in a hurry to get the crew cab back together or i would have put one of my old 10 spline set up in my crew cab. ( would have had to have shaft's shortened and lenghtened). but i wanted to see if that would work and it went right on. wish i wouldn't have been in such a hurry, as now i can't find a 205 for my 400. got a qwote from boyce for 1,200.00 for transfor case and adaptor.
    hope this help's if you want measerment's from adaptor let me know. i may have time tommarrow night.
    anymore 100.00 cases let me know i'll take a 1,000 of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

OK, This is possible in a couple different ways. One is factory. Find a later model 465 with it's 10" (approx) adapter and mated round pattern NP205, probably in a 1 ton still.

Given that the above scenario happens rarely and never to me the other way to go is to adapt easier to find parts. This means swapping the 32 spline output into the SM465 (bolt in as far as I know, I don't know of variations in the gearboxes but it's not my specialty either). Then you need the 32 spline input gear in the NP205. This is the standard gear,bearing, bore the case out swap just like getting it ready for a TH400 or Doubler kit.
    Then........this is the part I still need to work on a little but I have a start on the drawings to build an adapter/spacer to let you use the old style (once again cheap and available) 7" SM465 to NP205 adapter from a 10 spline setup and tie it to the TH400 version (32 spline short input) NP205. You're still looking at a $500 conversion if you have to buy all the parts, but it may not be that hard to find a 465 from a 208 which already has the right output shaft.

Another way would be to use the long 32 spline input gear NP205 and use the factory NP208 adapter housing with a round to FIG8 bolt pattern adapter. This is a longer overall length with less common parts but would still work.

So, moral of the story is that if you want a 32 spline SM465/205 setup, it is possible and not prohibitively expensive.

18. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

One more question.
    Does anyone know if the regular cab came with a 465/205 setup? I have a lead on a setup, but they mentioned that they could be different, between the regular and crew cab. Thanks.

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

is there a reliable source to grab actual numbers for the lengths of the 465 mainshafts? I am interested in the 2wdr as well as the 32 spliners
    sounds like the 32 spline is longer then the 10 spline + coupler.