Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

32x11.5 vs 33x9.5 on stock rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackdog, Aug 23, 2001.

1. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black>Let's say you've got the stock 15x8 rally wheels. How much difference would there be when you mount 32x11.5's versus 33x9.5's (Looking at BFG Mud Terrains for comparison's sake)? Seems they would end up very similar since the 11.5's would get taller to squeeze onto the rim. Correct? What would the pro's and con's be if this is true? Or am I completely wrong?

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net&gt;www.k5.batcave.net&lt;/a&gt;

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

No, the 11.5s would not get taller. The sidewalls would pull in a bit, but that wouldn't push the tread up at all. Actually, the 11.5 shouldn't be mounted on anything wider than an 8" rim. The 10" would be wide enough that it would be much more likely to get bashed on every passing rock. On a 10" rim your truck would also look like those ridiculous lowrider cars. The 33x9 would be significantly narrower, and while it would still go on an 8" rim, it would look much different, due to the different aspect ratio.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

the 32 11.5 look just fine on the 8" Rally wheels with no change in height. They will fit just fine They were made for a 8" wheel.
    I think a 8" rim is a little to wide for a 9.50x33 . It will fit but Because of the narrow tread and wide rim the sidewall bulges out unprotected and is open to damage. The 10.50x33 fit the rally wheels better and the sidewall is more protected because it does not bulge out as much.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 08/23/01 06:19 AM.</FONT></P>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you are talking about the looks of the tire, they will be very different. I ran 32x11.50 muds on both the stock rims (the optional 15x7 alloys) and then 10" rims. They fit actually "fit" better on the 7" rims, but I didn't have any problem with the 10's.
    A guy on in our club had a set of the 33x9.50 muds and they looked really, really skinny, as in much skinnier than even a 31x10.50. They were mounted on 15x8 rims which looked too wide for them.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are absolutely right. Whether the rims factory are 7" or 8" wide (both were available), a tire claiming 9.5" isn't what the actual TREAD WIDTH is. I think BFG's site even has a chart with actual tread width and tire height. 9.5"s have, IMO, WAY too much bulge in the sidewall on 7 or 8" rims. Wheeling, I would imagine the chances of puncturing a sidewall would be greatly multiplied compared to wider tread width tires. I would have gone for the 9.5" BFG's, but even the tire store steered me away from them because of that. The 33x10.5"s look fine (since 31" tires look fine width wise) but you can only get them in AT. If you are not into wheeling, get the AT's, they are better suited to a mainly street truck anyways.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen