Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33" BFG's fit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89k5blazr, Jul 22, 2001.

1. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

33\" BFG\'s fit?

I got a flat tire this weekend and i was kind of happy... it justified me buying new toys. I currently have 32x11.5R15's and i went a little bigger with BFGoodwrich 33x12.5r15 Mud-terrains with 15x10" M/T classic II's. I think it'll look good but my question is will all this fit under my truck at stock height or am i going to need a 2" lift and or do some trimming(which i really dont want to do). If so what to i need to get other than like a "RoughCounty" lift kit (ie: any new steering componants)????

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: 33\" BFG\'s fit?

I'm not for sure on the 10 inch rims, maybe, maybe not. I'm running 33s on 8 inch rims, stock height on my '87. I get some rubbing steering crank and suspension compressed. Had to adjust the steering stops which wasn't hard. Don't know about most tire shops, but the one I worked at, we would test for the customer; and then in a week or two if he had problems, they could trade for a smaller size no questions asked.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: 33

It depends on how hard you run it and flex it. For a daily driver who sees the concrete, I'm betting you'll do ok but you are pushing it. Especially when you turn you might not like that! That extra inch of width/height can really change things more then you ever would believe. I personally wouldn't drive it at sotck height with those tires... If you were to off-road I'd be trimming or lifting some more or you will for sure rub.... and there goes those new tires if you catch them hard enough on a fender. You can do a 2 inch lift and make it work ok, but again any real off roading and you can catch a tire and rub...but I'd look into a 4 inch lift just because they look good with that size tire and you can get them pretty cheap if you price around.... you always want to go higher anyhow and save that cash and do it now...but that is just my .02 cents! [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

4. 89k5blazr

yea... i am thinking about a 4"... i was just reading some old posts and everyone suggests the 4".... but will i need to buy anything other than the kit itself???

<font color=blue>Driving would be more fun if there were no paved roads</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. ChevyCaGal

Might need to adjust the t-case a bit for the slope on the drive shafts so you won't get a vibe. You might not though. Some people so, some don't.... steering too will need to be tinkered with... ask Esteban86K5 what he is running lift wise... I rode in his Blazer at Hollister and man it's a Caddy! It was soft and a nice all around ride! [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you lift it you will also need to fix the steering with either a 2" drop pitman arm or a 4" raised steering arm depending what lift you choose.

If you wheel it hard and don't want to cut the fenders go with the 4". I like to keep the CG low so I would go with a 2" and cut fenders (I am running a 4" lift and 36" tires with cut fenders).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yea I had to drop my x-fer case. I just put the bishings that are already there between the frame and the crossmember. Pretty easy fix.

Like a CADDY huh? I like that! I own a 1986 K5 Blazerllac. One of a kind!

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have an 89 stock height (droops a little in the rear) with 33/12.50's on 8" rims and have never had any rubbing or anything, but the offroading around here would not really be a big challenge

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

9. 89k5blazr

does dropping the x-fer case cange anything else... like the 4 wheel-drive shifter need modification?

<font color=blue>Driving would be more fun if there were no paved roads</font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. ChevyCaGal

Yeah, like a caddy.... it was a soft ride. Next time we do a run, ride with me and trust me when I hit a bump you will know it!!

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend had 33x12.50R15s on 15x10.5 wheels and they never rubbed. Never. Now he has a lift I used to have on my truck--$70 from JC Whitney. Front add-a-leafs, rear 3" blocks. No steering stuff necessary, and looks GOOD with 33s.

I have a 4" lift and 35s, and my tires have decided to rub in the back. I can't tell where, but they're rubbing. I've got to fix that.

For a 4" lift you'll need 8 new u bolts, new front springs ,rear blocks, new shocks, and a 4" steering arm.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Well like I said, it was only the amount of the bushings that are already there so it was only about an inch or two. I didn't have any problems with the stick at all.
    What are you gonna do with the truck? Any off-roading? Or is it just gonna be like fire roads and camp ground roads? I have had my 33/12.5r15 on 8 and 10 inch rims and have rubbed with both a 2 1/2 inch and 4 inch lift. But again that was on more than a fire road.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

13. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 89 did fine with 33's on 8.5 wheels. But my 87 with 33's on 10 inch wheels and 2 inch lift, needed the front fenders trimmed.

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I had 32s on 10 inch rims with old, somewhat sagging springs and had some rubbing when turning and hitting a bump. Like when turning onto another street and crossing a drainage ditch kind of thing. You might want to go ahead and lift to be safe.

the Rough Country lift is complete. (At least the one I got was.) It comes with the new steering arm and shocksa as well as brackets to lower the brake lines. You should probably confirm all these components are still included. I also got new stainless steel brake lines ($90) and didn't use their brake line brackets.

You will need to lower the t-case. If your stock setup has the long bolts with spacers on them, you don't need any parts. Just move the spacers from teh back of the bolts and put them between the t-case support member and the frame (instead of having the frame and the support member touching). That was all the drop I needed. May sound weird here, but look at it and it will make sense.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I need to do what Brian is talking about. My front driveshaft rubs the crossmember, and it's quite annoying.

Tim

16. 89k5blazr

Putting the tires on the truck on monday and i'll let you guys know how it turned out... I do think it'd look good with a lift.
    I dont do any serious off-roading but i dont like to be limited.
    Thanks-

17. 89k5blazr

Ok.... i tried one of the tires on the front and made a turn..... and had to deflate it to get it off.... so my question is, can me and some mechnically inclined friends put a lift kit on my k5 with success?
    thanks-

18. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

BFG now has a 33x10.5x15 that is what I'm going with for my on-road rig. still get a 33" tire, and don't have to go with the extra 2".

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

19. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Where exactly in NJ are you? A member of this board has an 87 with a 3" body lift and 33s and he used to wheel the crap out of it (until the seat started to break through the floor) and it never rubbed.</font color=blue>

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, you and your friends can EASILY lift your truck in one day. Just buy the kit and follow the instructions. It's very easy, but it's time consuming. You'll probably end up needing an air compressor, impact wrench, regular wrenches, sockets, and a pickle fork for the drag link so you can put the steering arm on.

Tim