Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33 inch tires on stock suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mgat21, Apr 20, 2002.

1. mgat21

mgat21 Newbie

I have original cast aluminum wheels 15X8 on my 89' K5 Blazer. They are the ones with the 8 slots. I was curious if i could fit 33 inch tires on stock suspension without cutting away any of the fender. I have heard that you could but local stores have told me that it won't fit. Any help would be great.
    thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The will fit. They will most likely rub on hard flex though. If you don't offroad hard then no fender trimming should be required. If you offroad hard you can still probably get away with them until you can get a lift, but they will rub.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I put 33s on my 89 with 15x8 wheels they rubbed when it was flexed hard as Hoss said.
    I put my K5 on a ramp and found I only had to cut an inch or so off the inside rear corner of my front fender where it sticks out in the wheel well. No big deal. You cant even tell I cut it. Other than that they fit fine and have had no rubbing problems.

4. klier

klier Registered Member

I think it depends on the actual brand of 33" tires you get too. Some tires like the 33" General Grabbers are more like 31s. My BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A's in 33" size didn't rub going straight down the road, but going into the driveway, hitting a bump while making a turn, etc, would rearrange my fenders every time. I should mention that these tires were the 33x12.5s.

I don't think it's a big deal cutting the corners of the fenders myself ... if it's not your thing though, go for something like the ORD 1" Lift that will give you a little more room in there ...

By the way, during my last wheeling trip, I wasn't rubbing at all with the little fender trim I got. You can head out to my website at <a target="_blank" href=http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject>http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject</a> to see how much I shaved them.

5. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Thats true. Ive got a set of pirelli scorpions 33x12.5 but they are actually 31" tall I have them on a stock suspended 88 k-5 and have'nt had any rubbing yet .even in trail flex.....

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The answer is definately maybe. Some are fine with stock springs and 33's, mine rubs with 33's and a 3" lift. A tire shop will be able to install the tires and flex it out so you can see if they rub.

7. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

You bring up an interesting question. Intersting because 33 inch tires are available in a few different widths. I keep hearing about stock suspension with 33's requiring cutting the rear bottom front fenders. Is this because the wheel offset required to fit 33x12.50's is so deep? Will running 33x9.50's fit without cutting? Will the narrower tires fit on stock wheels? And therefore not require trimming?
    Like I said, it's an interesting question that I dont know the answer to.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt that any 9.5 wide tire would rub, reguardless of height.

9. René

René 1/2 ton status

Also it makes a difference which backspace the rims has.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know for a fact on used 3 leaf stock/6 leaf rear stock springs, 33x10.5R15's don't rub on the stock steel ralleys. Stock AL ones should be the same backspacing.

The reason they don't rub isn't the height I think, it's because the suspension doesn't move enough. I tried in my garage when I put these tires on, and the passenger tire lifted before the drivers tire was able to rub. I've been off road with them, although not extreme, and they have yet to rub on me. I just don't think they will.

Most shops will install them, and either let you test them for flex, or come up with a way to test flex/contact in the tire bay. Here are pics of the tires on my '86 on my site http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/frankentruckpics.html

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

acutally, the reason they rub has some to do with the 33" height, but its a combination of two factors: height + width. Think about trying to turn a rectangular object within a confined space. The inner or outter edge is what is rubbing against the fender. You could do a whole bunch of fancy Pathagoriean (i cant even spell) theorm, and figure out that a 33x9.5 or 10.5 will have less protrusion, you can acutally get away with using 33x 12.5 in the rear, and 33x10.5 in the front. Just get a 10.5 for the spare! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ok, so it isnt the "proper" way.. but...