Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33" or 35"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sd17sd, Jul 24, 2005.

?

33 or 35 bfg mud

1. 33 bfg mud

35.5%
  2. 35 bfg mud

64.5%
  1. sd17sd

sd17sd Registered Member

:D Should i Get 33 or 35 bfg mud? i have a 86 k5 with 3 inch body for right now and i dont mind trimming a little bit but not to much .....it has 3.08 gears and 10 bolts just to let yall know

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

35's. Go big while you can. You will go even bigger sooner or later as you will find the 35's won't be big enough. :D

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

33s unless you are going to change gears.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

voted 33 but really 31's are just as cool and capable. one just has to know how to wheel in order to use them lol they wil go as many places as a 33 ;) and i will be dd and wheeliong 31's with both bf goodrich at's and swamper radials ;) :waytogo: with a cucv m1009even :D

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not go over 33" If you have a 700r4. 35" wil kill it with 308 gears. they wont do your 10 bolts a whole lot of good either. You should definatly think about getting 4.10 + gears if going with 33s or larger tires.
    I would not use OD unless going over 60 with 33s

6. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

33's. I have them with stock height. They rub a little bit so your 3 inch body lift should help. Also the original gearing is low in mine and you notice the lack of power. So I voted 33's but what do I know.

7. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

wheres 44's on the poll :dunno: :what:

:haha: :haha:

8. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

bigger is better.

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I voted 35's, 'cause I like bigger things. Put 4.10's in the axles to compensate for the height in tires, trim up the fenders cleanly, and drive it like ya stole it ;)

10. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

235/75-r15

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

35s if you don't mind driving in 3rd on the highway

12. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I have 35's with 3.42's and it is a nightmare. Im actually on the hunt right now for a cheap set of 31's that I can mount on some old rallies I have laying around until I can afford to re-gear. The look of the 35's crammed under a fullsize with a 3" bl is great (I did the same thing, not much trimming) but it always hunts for gears on the hiway, and if your running in third and catch a wind wrong it keeps coming in and out of lock up. Just my experience anyways. I did vote 35's tho because it looks real sweet and works good in 4lo in the mud.

Mike

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

308? ouch.

373 with 35's were livable. Didnt hunt around for me at least, but thats at like 65mph. Anything less, and I was in third.

When I had 33's it seemed to be the best blend. So much so, that I went back to 33's. (Cheaper, more avalibility).

Get what you can afford. 4 35's will run you about the same as 5 33's, so make sure you have a full size spare.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

308? ouch.

373 with 35's were livable. Didnt hunt around for me at least, but thats at like 65mph. Anything less, and I was in third.

When I had 33's it seemed to be the best blend. So much so, that I went back to 33's. (Cheaper, more avalibility).

Get what you can afford. 4 35's will run you about the same as 5 33's, so make sure you have a full size spare.

15. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had 33's with 3.08's.....slooow!! I put 4.10's in as I new I wanted 35's. It screamed on the open road but now with 35's and some body surgery it's not too bad but this is with a TH350. (700 is on my wish list now!!! Does it never end?!!! :doah: )

16. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Dana 44's are rated for a max tire size of 33" so unless you wanna start having axle problems like a lot of people already have then play it safe.

when i first joined this group i started a thread about Dana44 axles and 33" tires as the max and i got flamed pretty bad for it...........i have rolled on the floor laughing ever since :haha:

17. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

35 mtr's (tirerack.com) and a big ass tranny cooler or 2, a remote filter, and a temp guage never hurts either(summit racing). I ran this set up for 2 years and had no problems. If wont be that fast but you can always grab a gear for hills. If you get the vette servo (summit racing) the trans wont downshift in OD untill 3/4+ throttle which is nice no matter what tire you have. If you dont have lockers and dont get stupid with the stupid pedal the axles will last a while.

18. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

I voted for 33's on the basis of what you're running at present. There is no indication in your question that you are ready to spend money on the mods everyone is suggesting you'll need to run the bigger tires so that was my reason for the choice of 33. The idea about having a full sizes spare is valid IMO.

19. 1989blazer

1989blazer Registered Member

I think that without changing your gears, getting larger tires is a waste of $. (Unless it's for posing at the mall. If they generate a date with a hot babe, then they're a great investment.) Especially with 3.08 gears. For my '89 (700r4 and 3.41 gears) I got 33's but changed my gears to 4.10's. Not big enough, I should have gotten 4:56's. The rotating mass of the tire is noticably different between 31's and 33's, meaning slower acceleration. 35's will only feel that much slower.

You will also want to get a speedo adapter as it affects torque lock-up at low speeds (about $100). I also had problems with increased drive shaft vibration with the lower gears, which only a CV driveshaft can fix completely.

So my lesson learned is that to do it right requires a systematic approach. Unfortunately, that implies big dollars. If I were to do this over again, I'd probably try to find a blazer that's already been done, or find a complete drive train that I could graft onto my existing truck with the hope for a discount on cost.

20. sd17sd

sd17sd Registered Member

im changing my gears for sure to 4 56

okay i am gonna change my gears and me gettin these tires arent for posing at the mall im gonna wheel like a bat out of hell or as much as i can but back to the gears ... i work at kroger so im gonna have to save up cause i make bout 100 dollars a week and it takes 60 dollars to fill up my blazer so thas like 40 dollars a week so i was wondering how much do a set of gears cost usually and how much to get them installed or how to do it myself cause i have acsess to all types of tools my dads a mechanic so ...but anyways jus please help me :D