Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33" 's VS 35" 's and BFG AT's VS MT's ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Mar 11, 2007.

?

What ones should I pick?

1. 33 X 12.5 BFG Mud Terrains

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. 33 X 12.5 BFG All Terrains

6 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. 35 X 12.5 BFG Mud Terrains

61 vote(s)
    70.1%
  4. 33 X 12.5 BFG All Terrains

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. None of these - Something different?

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I cannot decide what to do. I have a '79 k5 with a 4" lift. What should I do?

This truck is mainly used for desert romping / off roading and a little "soft core" mudding out by the lake.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

well maybe cause I am still young enough to be dumb, but I have always said go with the biggest you can afford, you might regret getting the 33's knowing that for a few dollars more you could be on 35's with more clearance, and I thing they look better. Sometimes with 33's you cant tell a truck it lifted but with 35's you can def. notice. I also would go for the Mud terrains, even though all terrains are better in sand, my set of mudders have worked better in EVERYTHING else, and I think they look cooler.

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Yeah the MT's look alot more agressive, but I was worried they would work well in sand and loose dirt, I live in AZ and its all loose dirt haha

4. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

SUPER SWAMPER STS 33x14.50! you can tell it's lifted and they are more agressive than the at's (besides at's run a lot smaller than what they say so 35's if you plan on those.) and i'm pretty sure they are cheap

5. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmmm Thanks, I will look into those right now.

6. SUPERSUB87

did i mention they are made for sand???:D

7. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Yeah, I found them for 137 a tire, which is like 40 cheaper than the bfg's. Are they only for sand though cause I do a little mudding and stuff too.

8. SUPERSUB87

it's an all-terrain. It's just really good in sand and snow

9. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I might just do 33 x 12.5, 14.5 is pretty wide and I would need new rims. .

10. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

35x12.50 all terrain will be your best friend in those conditions! if you get MTs they will wear faster, less safe, more noise(yay for me, but maybe not for you?), and less challenge.. From what you said (and what ya said over AIM) A/Ts will be perfect for you! if you do decide on 35s remember to check your gears, if your not 3.73 or 4.10/4.11, you should probably regear.. check out some Ratio / RPM guides around the web. You also have an increased risk of breakin yer axles of course.. What did 79s come with? if its the D44/12bolt youll be just fine.

According to http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml , you have a 12bolt/10 bolt rear/front! The d44s were phased out the previous year. You should be fine on 35s as long as your gears arnt too bad, i have 35s and 2.73s! I plan on regearing as soon as possible..having as high of gear as me puts stress on the rest of the drivetrain leading to failure(my th350 died!).

Remember to post pictures when you get them..
    We dont take kindly to those without pics! :haha:

Another option for a BFG styled A/T, would be the Pep Boys' Definity Dakota all terrain, just like a BFG tire but like 60% of the price! They come with a 50 thousand mile treadwear warrenty.. But they arnt QUITE as aggressive as the BFG but almost! For the money they are fine by me! But beware, im not sure pep boys carrys anything over 33', the one by me dosent! Just call a couple of different pep boys in your area and be sure to go see the tire in person first, to make sure you like it. I was quoted 560 out the door for 285/75/16s, but the bigger the rim the more the tires cost.

Good luck and as i said...PICS

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Check gears first.

Before you pick the tire size, check the ring/pinion ratio. Most of the TBI Blazers came with 3.08's for CAFE reasons. They were acceptable with stock 235/75 (29 inch) tires and were marginaly acceptable with 31's and a TH-350. I run 3.43's and 33's and find it an ok combo but marginal. I plan to go to 3.73's or 4.10's as soon as time and money allow

Is you desert running sandy stuff or rocky/hardpack? That makes a big difference in tire choice. Our desert here is very sandy stuff and it seems like the MT crowd buries themselves quicker then the AT folks.

12. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmm, I will have to check my gears then, I am pretty sure they are 3.10 or something since its a mostly stock truck besides the ghetto lift they put on it. Thanks

13. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'm going with 33s on mine. less stress on drivetrain (my foot gets heavy offroad), less need for regearing to recover performance. and i'm not even going to bother changing out my speedo gears. it will be close enough to my 31s. the ground clearance gained with 35s is no big deal. assuming the diameters truly are 33 and 35" (rarely accurate), you're gaining 1" clearance. we've all been in a situation where having 1 extra inch would be nice, but if you know how to handle your rig, it shouldn't make a difference. the extra torque that makes it to the ground with smaller tires is more beneficial than 1" of height, IMO.

35s will look a little better, but since we're not talking about a mall-crawler, that should be a secondary concern.

btw, in stock half-ton axles, i think 3.08 and 3.42 are common ratios. 3.73 or 4.10 came with tow packages, i think. can't swear to that.

14. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Be it 35s or 33s i think all terrain would be best for you, M/Ts in desert sandy conditions sink when you spin the tires.

15. drop the hammer

ha yeah forgot mudders slap all kinds of loud, atleast my wildcats do. But My exhaust drowns it out once i get on it. no matter what you choose I would go with the 35's, the more clearance the better

16. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I am not worried about clearence too much, I dont alot of major off roading, just some romping and playing in the mud down by the lake, mainly using it to tow my quad out to the lake.

I think I might just go with 33's cause I am kind of a lead foot, and I really dont want to re gear. .

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Get 35's right away if your unsure . Played that game myself and wanted bigger after I got the 33's . I have 35's now , and I want 37's .......... damn AZ wheeling :laugh:

I kicking myself for getting AT's , which worked when I daily drove . But after 6 months I got a new Daily Driver and now have a part time truck sitting on AT's when I don't need them anymore .......ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH :wink1:

18. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

You should get 37's and sell me your 35's!!!

19. drop the hammer

I have 35's and the garbage stock gearing and though it sucks cuase it can be a dog at certain speeds, I still wheels with a little skinny petal motivation, Hell if your a lead foot as I am it will help push the rubber down the road!! just save up and regear later on.

20. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I found these at pepboys, I called them up and they quoted me 570 for 4 of them out the door, 33x13.5!!!!!!

What do you think??

[​IMG]