Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33" tires with 6" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Apr 25, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

33\" tires with 6\" lift?

Would 33x12.50" on 15x10" rims be way to small for an 6" lift? Because now i have an 4" lift with 33s and they look like they would hit offroad at full tilt and compression. And i dont want to do a body lift like 4" susp. with 2" body, i would much rather go suspension. This is for my '78 truck. I know its not a blazer but you guys are the most helpfu and bestl board around.

Thanks

2. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Re: 33\" tires with 6\" lift?

Impex- That's interesting to hear. I always thought that a 4" lift was plenty for 33s. I wonder if a Blazer is different. My 79 is stock with 31s, and I have LOTS of clearance.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have 33" with 4" suspen lift and 3" body and The rear hits the front of the back wheel well. It doesn't hit any more cuse both sides are bent inward now from the tires starting the dent and a 4lb sledge hammer finnishing the the inward curl of the front rear wheel well! I get pretty twisty sometimes fallowing jeeps around. I even had a jeep owner bowing to my K5 on a trail cuz he couldn't belive or has never seen what our K5s can do!![​IMG] Have fun!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ran 33x12.50's on 10" rims with a 4" lift and had no rubbing with the swaybar connected. This was on some really twisty trails. Once I disconnected the swaybar, I had to slightly bend in the rear corners of the front fenders for clearance.

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If the 33" tires are hitting your fenders on your truck right now, then I would assume a 6" lift wouldn't be too bad. But I did thought that 33" tires on a 4" lift is perfect (atleast for Blazers) On my 75', I have a 4" susp and 3" body lift with 35" tires. To tell you the truth, I think the 35"ers look a little small on my truck.
    Boss

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

well i could trim my fenders but i sorta wanted to stay away from that. I just bought the truck and have not taken it offroad but from the looks it looks like it would hit at full tilt and full compression. I dont really want to do a body lift so i was wondering if 6" with 33's would look way to small and would by like "tip over".

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I had 33's on 15x10's on a '79 Blazer with 6 inches for a while. I hated it. It looked like a big roller skate with such a big lift. I put 35's on it and it was perfect. 4 inches should be enough room for 33's.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well, I have since gone to 35's with the 4" lift. Needless to say I had to trim both the front and rear fenders to make them clear. Both the front and rear edges of the front fenders and the front edge of the rear fenders needed some material removed. I have only a very small amount of rubbing of the front tires on the rear of the inner fenders, but nothing I cannot live with. Most people don't even notice the trim job, especially since I retained the factory chrome wheelwell trim by simply bending it back to match the trimmed fenders. I didn't want to go any taller in order to keep the center of gravity low, and to avoid more drivetrain modifications (lengthening driveshafts, etc.). I also think the 4" lift/ 35" tire combo looks good.
    Concerning being tippy, shorter tires will not make the truck more "tippy" than taller tires, if they are the same width, even though the tall lift/short tire may look that way.

9. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Impex, if you do decide to go with a 6" lift, I'll be in the market (and the same town!) for some of your 4" stuff for my rig!....

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

10. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Ok Steve ill keep you in mind....still not sure what im doing hehe

11. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

6.2-- Did you do the shackle flip or did you go with rear springs? 4" lift with 35s sounds cool. How did you trim? (sawzall?)

Blazin' in Flagstaff

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I currently have blocks in the rear but a shackle flip is very high on the list (I hope to install one this summer).
    For trimming the fenders, I used an air powered cut-off wheel with about a 3.5" cutting disc on it. It works pretty good and I thought it turned out pretty decent considering it was my first time doing it and I was in a hurry (I had just installed the 35's and was going on a trail ride the following day). I trimmed a little bit off at a time until it had the shape I wanted.

13. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with 6.2blazer 4" with the 35's looks great, that's what I have. The lower the better. I'm going to try 38's with my 4" lift, I guess I'll have to break out my: cutoff wheel, Sawzall, right angle grinder, welder, and spray paint.
    CB

14. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Hopefully I'll be putting a 6" suspension and 35" Swamper TSL's on my truck this weekend. 33's with 6" probably wouldn't look that bad, basically it's just a matter of opinion I guess. If that's what you want then I'd say go for it. Good luck

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

15. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" susp and a 3" body lift. I run 33x12.5s in the winter time. I hate the way it looks, the tires are way too small for the lift IMHO. My 35s fit nicely under there but they will contact at full twist (no cut fenders yet). I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with the truck. Mud guys will have no probs with 35s under 4". Rock guys will have to cut the fenders... build your truck for what you use it for, not just looks!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

16. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Will 35s work with 3.73 gears, or do I need a gear swap? (axle swap?)
    Correct me here, but I would think that I'd have the same clearence as I have now with that combo. I'm running 31s with a stock truck, and I have good clearence.
    Anyway, this is an idea I'm looking into. I always thought that you HAD to have a 6" lift for 35s.
    Thanks again for the info.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

17. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had an 87 blazer with 4" susension lift and 33 on 15x10. they hit in the front under full compression. my 76 blazer has 6" suspenion and 40" tires. and thanks to a cutoff wheel they fit fine!!!! only hit once under a hard landing, but that clearanced itself!!