Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33" tires without a lift ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thunder, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

33\" tires without a lift ?

I'm running 33" tires on my 89 K5. I went down to look at new tires today and a guy at a tire store said I needed a lift cause 33" tires wont fit stock blazers without rubbing.
    I just figgured he was just trying to sell me a lift. So I went to look at tires elsewhere.
    The only mod I did to put 33s on was cut a little piece out of the bottom rear of my front fender on the inside of the wheel well. cause the tire hit it when I was flexing hard. Other than that I have not had any other problems.

Anyhow I was wondering??
    Anyone else running 33s without a lift ??
    Do you have any problems with the fit or rubbing on the body ??
    Or do most K5s need a lift to run 33s?

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 33\" tires without a lift ?

The guy at the tire store wasn't blowing smoke up your wazzo. He just goes by what the "book" says. He has to tell you that you can't fit 33's on your stock hieght blazer because basically you can't. You said yourself that you had to trim your fender a little. Well in "stock" form they wouldn't fit without rubbing. He basically is just covering his ass. He doesn't want to sell you bigger tires and them have you come back a month later cause you ripped up your fender from the bigger tires HE sold you that HE said would fit. Follow me?

Anyways about fitting 33's on a stock blazer, I had 33's on a 4" lift and if I hadn't trimmed my fenders quite a bit they would rub A LOT. They actually would even rub the front of the fender. Just enough to rip off the molding.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

3. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

Im running 33's on my '82 stock and only have slight rubbing when flexed hard. Im running BFG A/T's. 33/12.5/15 I think. It may depend on the width and brand.

Swimming like a rock, Slinging like a stock, but not for long!

4. Steve#1

Steve#1 Newbie

I've got 33X12.50s on my stock 87 K5. I've never had 'em rub, even at full compression.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Remove the sway bar and try it...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I guess it also depends on the type of wheeling you do. I ran the 33x12.5x15 BFG A/T and M/T and I would rub both of them. I had them on stock and with 2 1/2 and with 4" lift and could rub them on all three. I run Procomp springs and only after I added the 4" did I disconnect the swaybar. I run trails so it twists my truck up pretty good. I have heard many stories of people saying that they can run 33's with no lift and just like many things, I guess it varies from truck to truck.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

33x10.5R15's fit with no lift on my truck. I can't flex it enough (with swaybar on) to get it to rub. The 12.5's rub ONLY because the edges hit the fender. If you narrow the tire by 2", you won't have that problem. Some of the clearance issues I believe are due to the 2 or 3 leaf spring setups (stock) and also the amount of sag. My truck sags a lot, but is 3 leaf fronts, so....

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

I have 33's on my stock 84 with no rub, of course mine flexes like a wet brick, I know someone here will prolly think I'm dumb as sheeite but I don't think I will have over 4" of lift ever on mine at least not for a few years and plan on moving up to 35's w/ 4 or less inches of lift, not scared to bust out the sawzall though, only gonna remove cancer mostly, like the way money pit is shaved in the back but not quite that extreme though

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: 33

Well it looks like some trucks can get away with it and some cant. I dont want to lift my K5 either. I figgured 33 were the tallest I could get away with and keep my suspention fairly stock.
    the fender trimming I did was very minor. unless you knew I did it you cant even tell. Also the US wheels I have the 33s on seem to have a different offset than my stock rally wheels.
    I ramped my truck on a frozen sand pile at work. I was able to get most of the trucks weight on each of the wheels to check for clearence issues. I had the springs compressed almost on the rubber stops Thats where I found the small areas on the front I had to cut.
    I found some Kumho 12.50x33MT at: Blazer pics

10. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

It took my 33's 3 years to rip some trim off the front fenders - (mostly under compression in reverse).

I created my website over the weekend - check out my "Bronze Beast".
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/jjkastelic/>http://www.geocities.com/jjkastelic/</a>

" IT AINT DEEP !! " -common phrase from that guy who doesn't drive to the local mudhole.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Here is my set up.
    33x12.5 on 15x10 wheels, no lift.
    3 leaf front and 9 leaf rear.
    All I have is a bit cut from the corners, actualy after the cut the rot on the one side looks worse than it is.
    Oh the wheels have 4 1/8" backspacing.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

12. DriveTime

DriveTime Registered Member

I have an '81 C10 2WD with 33's and no lift. True, it is used street only, but I have yet to encounter rubbing, even though the tires are 12.5" wide. I have several friends with fullsize Blazers who run 35's with only a 3" body lift.

Being confident is knowing you're good, being cocky is thinking you're good. PA Bruins-2002 Arkansas AAA State Champs.

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If my rig only seen the pavement then I would have been good to go.
    But being that I can turn the hubs and pull on that lil lever pavement only is not an option.
    The first time out with the tires on 8" wheels I had to take a hammer and beat in the corners.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

14. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Has anybody tried fitting any other sized tires besides inch sizes?
    What I mean to say is, my GMC K2500 that I used to have had 235-85 16's. That had a theoretical height of about 32/33 inches but were considerably narrower than 33x12.5.
    From what I've read it seems like the trouble with 33x12.5 fitting under a stock Blazer/Jimmy is the width, right? If the tire were narrower and had less offset would that work? Is that an accurate statement?

Bill
    '77 GMC Jimmy
    '46 chevy pickup
    '67 Chevelle Malibu

15. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

235/85 16's are 9-1/4 inches wide and 31.7 inches tall (theoretically) They have 8 ply sidewalls and have a load rating of E.
    255/85 16's are 10 inches wide and 33 inches tall (theoretically)

Bill
    '77 GMC Jimmy
    '46 chevy pickup
    '67 Chevelle Malibu

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well i had no lift but now have a 2.5in lift but i ran 33x12.5x16in tires for 2 years with no rubbing and i do flex hard 703 on a 23degree rti ramp the key is the backspaceing of the rim i run a positive offset and have never rubbed yet and i wheel hard and have jumped my blazer take a look at the pics in my webshots album in the link below

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333