Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33" tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Jan 12, 2001.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

33\" tires

I haven't lifted my 85 yet, but my 31's are toast. I don't want to buy new 31's just to turn around and replace them. Will 33's fit under a stock height blazer, or do I just need to try and sell them when I can lift it and go to 33's? It looks like they'll fit in back, but the front is iffy. All replies greatly appreciated.

"who dares wins"

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Re: 33" tires

33's will fit with a 2" add a leaves in the front and 2" blocks in the back. its pretty cheap,too. under a hundred bucks new. in fact i used to run 33 x 14.50 mickeys on 15 x 10 rims and the back never hit, only the front when the wheel was turned and articulated (like backing out of the driveway). i even had the stock shocks on for a few weeks til the ole ranchos came in.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: 33\" tires

I ran a set of BFG AT's 33x12.50x15 on the factory rims with no lift. Did lots of wheeling but never rubbed a tire.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The best answer is probably "It depends" It depends on how much your stock springs have sagged, andhow big the tire actually is. If you only use it for the street for a while, It should be fine.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

33's "should" fit if you use stock rims. aftermarket rims have a different offset and space the rim out farther.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. dewey

dewey Registered Member

One other way to go is 32"x11.5 tires..

D.

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I believe that 33's on stock rims will hit the left front wheelwell in the back when the wheels are turned full left...if you drive it turned full left , up over a curb for example, it will more than likely hit...the reason being....in order to make a vehicle run straight down a crowned road (all paved roads are crowned), the wheels are not exactly opposite...the left front wheel sits back just a fraction more than the right.....IF it's gonna hit, this is the most likely place it will hit first...compressing the suspension with the wheels turned will exaggerate this condition...you may trial fit on the front, turn the wheel, and jack it up to compress your suspension...my guess is that it will hit under these conditions....I have run 32's on stock suspension with no probs....running a wider rim changes the arc of the path and can sometimes make clearance better (or worse)....on your truck you must have no more than 3 5/8" back spacing on the rims, otherwise you will hit the tierod ends...(4" spacing will not work)....this means that if you change your rims to 10", you add all your width outboard (from stock 8"), and increase the probability of rubbing with a stock suspension.......there have been a couple articles on this over the past year or so in a couple of the 4x4 mags....I'd go with the 32's and change the suspension when you can.....or.....try to find a set of used 31's for cheap, and do the susp/tire/wheel upgrades when the beans roll in.....I hate having to make decisions like this myself....good luck.....JD

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I put 33s on my 83, after switching out the diesel the truck went up about 3/4 of an inch from less weight. I did however have to cut (trim) the fenders at the bottoms, I used a cut off wheel, It isn't noticeable at all. I would If you don't want to cut, take the above advice and lift your truck up first, before 33s....................js

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a 77 with no lift and 33x12.5x16in and i can articulate very well and i still do not rub and no fender trimming

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can run 33's on stock rims and no lift on my 79....rubs with 10" Aluminum Slots......if your 16's are narrower than 8", I'd think that would make a difference.....my 79 started rubbing on stock rims after the springs were about 10 yrs old.....

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by K5Jimmy on 01/13/01 08:17 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i've got 32" X 11.5" tires on my stock height jimmy and they have only rubbed when wheeling hard, i bet 33" would fit fine for street use...
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com>http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com</A>