Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33 x 9.5 x 15 ...work on stock rims?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Jun 3, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a stock rig w/ stock rims w/ 31 x 10.5 x 15 right now. 3.07s gears in a 12 bolt. Tires are wearing out...time to upgrade to 33s. Found some 33s but they are 9.5, not 10.5. Will they work on stock rims and how would they look and perform? From all the other posts I think I'm a-OK w/ 33s and 3.07 gears, correct?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

They should work since the stock rim is 8 inches wide but they probably look weird since 10.5's look narrow.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

They will look odd. I'll take a pic of my rig with the temporary lt 235 75r15s on 8" rims...I'm pretty sure they are 9.5" wide and they look dumb as hell. Can't wait to be rid of em.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They will work, but I gotta agree with the others, 9.5" is a little narrow.

Of course, my 33's are 10.5" wide, so thats narrow to some to, but think about it: If stock tire is 9.5 or 10.5" wide, from the rear it doesn't matter quite so much the diameter, it will look the same as the stock tire width, and from the side, you can't tell.

I'd imagine with a lift the narrow tires would look dumb, but thats the advantage of narrow tall tires...no rubbing with no mods for clearance. (at least in most of our cases)

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

narrow tires work better in the mud too

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    narrow tires work better in the mud too

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I disagree. Narrow tires will sink in mud, accomplishing nothing but getting you stuck. Mud tires are wide for a reason, for you to ride on top of the mud rather than sink to your ass. Now in snow a rig with narrow tires will win every time. In snow the object is to dig down through the snow to the solid ground underneath. A narrow tire will have less snow to move to get to the ground, whereas a wide tire will ride on top of the snow slipping and sliding all over.

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all for the help...will stick w/ 10.5s. Saw some 33x9.5s on ebay and was tempted... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif