Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33s are rubbing, need opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Oct 9, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

My front tires rub when turned and flexed a little. I have 33x12.5 and 4" skyjacker springs. I can't decide what to do, so I would like some opinions.
    1. Cut fenders-The body on my k5 is perfect, so I'm a little nervous about this one, I would probably have it done at the 4x4 shop.

2. Hill 4 wheel drive 1" lift shackles. Do you need longer shocks for these? Will my driveshaft be long enough? I don't know if I want to buy them, because I'm not sure if they will be enough.

3. Body lift- I personally think body lifts look bad because you can't raise the bumpers, but I'm not crossing off any options yet.

Thanks! Your opinions are appreciated!

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Trimming the fenders is the easiest ,and I think best, thing to do. You could even trim enough to run 35-36's if you wanted.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If you dont want to trim the fenders, try an ORD 1" body lift. You will get slightly more clearence and it wont make too much of a gap at the bumpers, probably not even noticable</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with Titanic. Trimming the fenders, if done carefully, can be almost unnoticeable. I trimmed a set of fenders that were'nt more than 3 days old. It gave me the clearance I needed for my 35's and a 4" lift, and the only way you'd notice the trim is if I pointed it out.
    If you are not comfortable doing it yourself by all means take it to a shop, or a buddy that has already done it once. It is definitely the most efficient way to gain a little (or a lot) of clearance.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

This is great, keep the opinions coming.

Brian

6. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 with 33s, and Rough Country 4 inch lift. i havnt gotten the cahjnce to flex much, but I have already been thinking about in the future putting on the Hill 4Wheel Drive shackles, becuase it would a add an inch of luft and be, replace those ridiculously tiny factory front shackles which also means if you ever get that baby to full flex, your spring wqill not come back and smack your frame. However, you woud then need one inch blocks in the rear to make up for the 1 inch front lift, and you must have your stearing angle shimmed to match. Other than that, I recomend Fender trimming, or maybe even both. The worst of the three is a body lift, I wouldnt go there unless I already did everything else, and still needed an inch, and that is it, becuase I would never put put more than an inch of body lift on if it had to come to that.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If your fenders hit with a 4" suspension lift and 33" something sounds old or worn out. Does your truck feel squizy going around corners? Because you have another option and that is add-a-leaf's. It will make it stiffer again. And gain some height!

The Black Diamond 3" Bodylift I did, I have had on for 4 months now. It has not moved or made any visable marks around the blocks. Once I even slid to a sideways stop, and thought that would finaly prove me wrong. But it hadn't bugded..
    It comes down to the condition of your crossmembers and bodysupports and how hard you wheel/jump it offroad. It does feel a litle more top-heavy when doing fast turns on the road but it was never intended to be a racecar anyway, so I just slow down before the turns.
    There is a way to raise the bumpers that I tried to explain on my CK5homepage.. It's at the bottom of the page under all the pictures of the bodylift I did.(takes a litle time to load)

Good luck!

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

8. I had 33" tsl's on my blazer with a 4" lift,with the sway bar disconected they would hit the fenders.These were brand new bds 4"HD's,if it will flex they will hit.It also depends on the tire you are running,some 33's are only like a true 32" tall.My 33" swampers were actualy close to 34".
    I would trim the fenders,but the hill shackles sound like a good product.Just my $.02 though.
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would do a little fender trimming. This is the cheapest and easiest thing to do. If you dont want to cut up your K5 then I would probably go with the 1" body lift as someone else mentioned. That way you dont have to worry about driveline angles and all that rig-a-more-oll(sp?)

[​IMG]

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I say, go with trimming fenders, and the front shackle. For starters, you would need the lift shackle anyway to keep the shackle from hitting the frame when flexing. Second trimming I know can be hard when you have a fresh paint job and rust free fenders, but you'll have to do it eventually (unless you don't wheel as much). On mine, I have a 4" susp and 1"body lift with 35" tires. They didn't rub on the street, but when wheelin, they rub like crazy, tore up my tires. Worst sound ever. For a while, I didn't want to trim b/c no rust on my front fenders, plus nice paint there etc, but after too much rubbing from wheeling, I said the hell with it and trimmed them up. Now, no more rubbing, and the trim looks good too, It looks like its suppose to be that way. Trimming fenders aint hard, you draw a line and follow it. Let the blade do the cutting and you're pretty much done. You can check out my site and see how I trimmed my fenders.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 33" BFG muds rubbed on my '90 with a 4" Skyjacker softride with the swaybar disconnected. I was able to just barely get them to clear under full flex by bending the lower fender lip in some. When I went to 35's I had to trim some sheet metal. I had the factory chrome fender trim and was able to re-use it after trimming enough to fit the 35's (they rub the inner fender just sligthly now). You cannot notice the trimmed part unless you look really close.

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree with 6.2. My '90 Jimmy has a 4" lift w/33's at full flex the tires will hit the back of the fender just slightly. There is nothing like a 33 or 35 MT to trim a lot of sheetmetal in a hurry. My suggestion is to trim carefully, properly trimmed it is difficut to see.

The saddest thing I have ever seen was when I recently stopped to look at a sharp looking K5. Beautiful paint job all redone very nicely. It had new set of 35" BFG TA's with huge slices through the sides of the front treads where the front fenders had caught the tires.

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I think I am going to go with the fender trimming for a few reasons.I went wheeling on thursday, the passenger side tire dropped into a rut, and the front fender hit a rock, so its a little bent up. Its barely noticable after my work with a hammer and the touch up paint from my dads explorer, but its enough of an excuse to cut it off. I figured if I hit once, I'll hit it again, so might as well cut it off. Also, cutting the fenders looks to be the easiest way. By the way, nothing is worn out, in fact the springs were bought this summer. The swaybar is gone however (swaybar=deadweight). The tires only hit when flexing and turning, but this is enough to chew them up. Thanks for the help guys.

Brian

14. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

instead of running those bigass 12.50"s and doing a lot of work to make them fit,,, put on some 10.50"s or 11.50's, i had them on my '83 and they never came close !!!!!!
    that's the simplist(???) way without hacking your truck to pieces!!! BTW i didn't have ANY lift on either!!!stock !!!

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I would just trim a little, with the shape of the wheel well openings, you are always going to hit, 33's are fairly small so you don't need to take off much. I have the hill shackles in front and the ORD 1" 0 rate add a leaf for the back, basicly a block that bolts up with the spring pack, review coming soon on the add-a-leaf. I plan on going big on the trimming to fit 38's with just the 5" of lift.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

16. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Cutting the fenders is a lot cheaper than buying a new set of tires, especially since my tires only have 2,000 miles on them. They're always going to hit? Thats a bummer. This wouldn't be a big deal if my k5 had plastic fenders like jeeps, but metal and rubber don't mix.

Brian

17. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Cutting your fenders is going to be the cheapest way to go. If you r worried about the looks as far as the cutting is concerned, check into some "bushwacker" fenders. I've got a 4" lift with 36" tires under it, no sway bar and I am really considering a set of 38's.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]