Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33's on 3.08's should be fine right?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Nov 4, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

33\'s on 3.08\'s should be fine right?

Well I'm selling my computer to a friend for $1,200 (will use parent's for a while) and I'll have some money saved. Right now I have 32 x 10 or 11.5's. So going to 33x 12.5's shouldn't be a big difference right? I also want to lift it 2.5" because the front springs bottom out going over speed bumps a little fast /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Oh, and is it going to be close to 1 grand for 3.73 gears installed?

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Re: 33\'s on 3.08\'s should be fine right?

I'm no expert but I just made the same decisions.

3.08 and big tires = low rpm at 65mph = no power

Instead of putting in new gears, I rounded up some used 3.73's - rotor to rotor - drum to drum. $100 for the set and a weekends worth of work.

My 3.08's did run and drive fine though (35's.) However, I did not wheel or tow with them. I also spent alot of time in 2nd gear just getting around town...

3. anatomiczero

I'll eventually get 3.73 or 4.11 gears, just making sure it wont' be too bad until I can afford them because my tires don't have a lot of tread left and the springs bottom out.

Oh and should I stick with BFG A/T or get their mud ones? It's my daily driver and I live in WA (rain & snow) don't do a whole lot of off-roading (for now anyway). Would the mud tires wear a lot faster than the A/T and be a lot louder?

4. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

If your going to keep your 33s then 373 will be ok I had 33s with 411 and at 65 was running 3100 rpm so jumped to 36 TSLs

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran the 35" AT's nd they lasted for years. And I mean years of lots of driving. They saw the Oregon coast, California, and Vegas twice. Sold them when I went to 1 ton setup. If you see light duty mud, I think the AT is a good tire. I hear that the MT weares well also but have never had that tire.

6. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif before you drop a grand for new gears, I would look around on this site or in the paper for a little while. People usually upgrade to better stuff and sell their old stuff pretty cheap. I had stock axles and gears (P.O.S. 2.73's, that I am trying to get rid of to the lowest bidder /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) and was going to get some 4.11's installed. I was quoted anywhere from 1K-2K around town. I was lucky enough to find a guy on here, Thanks Depdog, that was selling better axles with 4.56 gears and lockers for a grand. My patience paid off. Just be patient and your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif will end up just the way you want it... until you decide to upgrade again...ugh..never can stop upgrading can we?

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I've got 33's with 3.08 and a 700r4. Been running them for about a year, and they were run for a while before I got it.. I've got a 14 bolt with 410's that's going on the truck next spring. (just don't have time right now.) You've got to cruise in overdrive at about 70 to keep it from shifting back and forth constantly. I don't run mine on the highway much, so I usually keep it out of overdrive. It's also very hilly here. I just changed the trans. fluid yesterday, and it was still pretty red. No burnt smell or metal. Filter looked clean too. Of course, I run a trans cooler that takes up almost half of the grill. I'm not very forgiving on my trans. I do a lot of hill climbing, and since I don't get a lot of take off power with the 3.08's I usually stomp it just to hear the engine. Even with all that the trans has lasted for 35000 with no probs. (I assume it's the trans you're concerned about since the bigger tires and 3.08's come close to it's torque limit. especially when you drive like I do) It all depends on your trans. If you have a th350, or 400, you will have pretty slow takeoffs. The 700R4 has a nice low first gear that helps make up for it.

8. RockaFella

RockaFella Registered Member

Yes it will be ok I am running 33's on a 3.08 and my Blazer is Fine Pulls Like a Mule Seriously I think i am gonna take my 4.11 out of my 81 GMC

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You can get away with it for a while with the TH350 your truck has. It will just be a dog is all. Put a big tranny cooler on to help keep from frying the transmission. 3.73's and 33's is a good combinations for the TH350. Will let you run down the hwy without screaming the engine to bad.
    If you had a 700R4 I would say that your pushing it. 33's with a 700R4 should run a 4.10 gear.

10. RockaFella

RockaFella Registered Member

anatomiczero why are u still a pavement pounder? u have 246 Post or summin like that... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. anatomiczero

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    anatomiczero why are u still a pavement pounder? u have 246 Post or summin like that...

[/ QUOTE ] Good question /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Thanks everyone, I'll be patient for the gears.