Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33's on stock suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Feb 16, 2005.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Can I run 33X10.5r15 on a k5 with stock suspension? short term untill I can get my lift. I ran 32X11.5 on my old short box with no rub. Thanks for your help

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

short answer, yes

3. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

long answer? I don't want to trim anthing yet. body is to purdy

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

There really isnt a long answer. I had 33x12.50 on my 90 that was bone stock and they were on 10" wide wheels. they would rub a little bit down on the very bottom corner when you went into a dip while turning.. I took a sledge and beat that corner in just a tit and it stopped...Mine was a pretty truck too and what I did wasnt noticeable.

Basically the amount of rubbage you'll have all depends on wheel offset and condition of the stock springs(sagging any?)

Edit: I see you want to run 10.50s...If you put those on a wheel that tucks up under the fender you should have minimal problems...

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I ran 33's stock and had to trim a little bit (I ran 15"x8" wheels with 3.75" backspacing), but my springs were 25 years old.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Longer answer:

3 leaf front, 6 leaf rear (if that changes ride height over the 2/5 "stock" spring setup, not sure) 33x10.5R15 on stock 15x8 ralleys clears with no rubbing.

Tire pics aways down

As you can see from the fronts there, lots of room up front (in front wheelwell), and enough in back (still front wheelwell) it APPEARS, even if the center of the hub was pushed up as high as the lower lip of the fender, (which would never happen due to bumpstops, swaybar, etc.) to clear no matter what.

On flat ground I jacked one front corner up until the other tire came off the ground, moved the wheels from stop to stop, and it could not rub...stock suspension just won't allow the axle to flex enough IMO, plus the tire width (which is important and why 12.5's rub) and wheel backspacing don't cause any more problems.

I'm by no means a hardcore wheeler (I like my fairly straight sheetmetal) but I believe I am qualified to say that no matter how hard I wheel this truck as is, those tires simply can't rub. I've had it offroad enough to believe if there was a problem, I would have found it.

And yes, there are so many variables that it is never a given that a tire that fits on one truck won't fit on another. I bought my tires from discount tire, and they (along with another place I didn't end up going to) *said* they would mount the tires for me, and take the tires back if they wouldn't clear, since I had no tires to bring the truck up to them with.

7. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

Man just checked out your website, do you have any info on the Camaro tach and fuel gauge? I would LOVE to do that on my 89!!!

Bobby

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member