Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33s on, trimming time?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SHINTON, May 2, 2003.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Ok, slid on the Daytona 33x12.5 M/Ts last week, they were already used and prob 50-70% tread left on them. Previously I was running BFG 32x11.5 A/Ts and they fit fine, never had any rubbing. (Oh yeah, 72 GMC Jimmy)

So far, after a week of driving I have not had any rubbing around town. I was on the trails last weekend, again no rubbing but I usually don't flex myself out or anything.

So now...eyeballing the "stock" rig, I have maybe half to 1" clearance at most on the front wheelwell, front side, very bottom corner when the tire is turned at max angle to hit it. My thinking though is that during articulation, the tire is actually going backwards and that I should be more worried about the back of the front wheelwell, correct?

Is that front wheelwell, front side, bottom corner what you guys call the 'fang'?

So...got a buddy with a forklift, we will prob do some flex testing to see what happens. This rig is running stock springs, sagging in the front probably 1-2"! Stock rear springs too. I cannot tell how much they sagged.

My thoughts are this (finally, a question!), I have a 3" body lift at home, that will certainly get the body away from the tires, prob could fit 35s too. I actually am leaning back to a spring lift now and have the body lift for sale here on CK5. But is there any other thoughts on this for me?

Honestly, I will never run bigger than 35/36ish tires and the body lift prob could fit that with my stock springs. The springs don't seem to flex out much so I have never had any issues to date? But, Tellico is coming this fall and I am gonna be pushing the rig further than even before.

So...the endless debate (yes I have read every thread on this since 2001 when I joined) to fit the 35s / 36s (TSL which is closer to true 35) do I really need to bother with the springs? Yeah my poor fronts are sagging...true...

SPRINGS...Greg72...help here! How much did you pay for your custom set of springs, the 7 leaf, nice ride? I am thinking I want in the front, just enough to make the rear even with a shackle flip, stocker springs or F150s. (5ish or so in lift...?) I will need to buy a drop pitman arm on the front with the bigger springs..and that is about it I think (shocks.)

I will go read more on this again, been awhile since I read all the 4-6" lift posts, just wanted some fresh insight. The reason I think I am asking something "new" here is that most of you are NOT running stock springs. They don't flex as much and if I am happy with that I might could get away with just the 3" body lift forever?

I have been wheeln the Jimmy since 1996, Uhwarrie, etc in NC and for east coast wheeln, 35s are really just fine. In fact if your locked front and rear, it really doesn't matter AS MUCH if you have a wheel in the air, so super flexy isnt needed again, "as much" as say Moab style wheeln.

Wow..long topic, what the heck you and I are prob both goofn off at work reading CK5 anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sam Hinton

2. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Yes, that front piece is the fang. I sure don't want to trim mine off, nor do I think I will ever have to. There are some ups and downs to cutting it off, the up side is, u get lots more clearance and you can bet that you will find your self some new tools down in there too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Trim it off, and it will never be the same again, when and if you trim, do it sitting down /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif u may cry a little

3. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

just my .02, I would lean towards new springs as the ones on the truck are now over 30 years old. If you replace them, you'll most likely find a huge improvement in ride quality as well as your truck being able to flex alot easier.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can bet that you will find your self some new tools down in there too

[/ QUOTE ]

So true! I found a few sockets (not mine), some rocks, and some other misc. junk in the fang when I cut into it.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have never liked body lifts and will never put one on my truck. It opens up a hole new can-o-worms and doesn't get you any extra clearance under the truck.

I don't think the idea of keeping 30 year old springs is a good one. I found 1 leaf in each side of my truck cracked right in the middle...I went the cheep way and pieced back a full set from some free ones I got.

I say do a soft 4" lift with shackle flip in the rear.

6. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Yeah I really think my long term goal is a really nice soft set of springs for the front and shackle flip in rear (short term keep current stock rear springs, long term, replace with F150s)

My ride actually went WAY downhill in the last two weeks. I personally have never noticed tires much and how they effect a ride UNTIL I pulled off the 32x11.5 BFG A/Ts last week and replaced with Daytona 33x12.5 M/Ts!

Man I really appreciate the ole a/ts now, the new tires have got a lot more roll to them in the corners etc. Essentially I can really feel the sidewall being much thinner. I would have never guessed that but now that they are on I really can see why folks talk about how good a tires rides (or bad.)

My next tire after this will be Interco TSL (Bias) which will ride even worse (flat spot until warm etc) but is prob the single best tires for the type of wheeln I do. (Rocks with carolina mud on/around em!)

Thanks for the thoughts on the 30 year old springs, yeah I think they gotta go, I will be fabbing up a set of shackle flips with my buddies plasma cutter soon which may drive me to buying the front springs! Someone who wants a body lift buy mine so I can buy 4" front springs!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Sam Hinton