Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33's with no lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

33\'s with no lift?

Hey all.. I'm picking up my 33" M/T's next week. Can I run them with no lift if I drive nice and stay on the road? I'm hoping to lift within a week or two of tires. Just need brake lines and some seals. Anyone else tried it? Bad idea? Thanks in advance!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 33\'s with no lift?

I've got an '82 K30 with 33's and no lift. It's sitting in the yard though. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif No motor. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

The rear part of the front fenders have been trimmed slightly, just at the corner of them. The tires appear to fit real good without any lift. I've towed the truck by a strap before and it steered fine without rubbing anything.

BTW, the 33's are on 9.75" wide rims, too.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got 33's on my burb with no lift...body lift is going on this weekend...no lift pics are on my webshots if ya wanna see.

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have 33-12.50 MT's on a stock height 89, and can only make them rub
    when crossing a ditch at full flex and turning to the wheel stops
    becareful with rim width and set back it makes a huge difference
    mine are 15 x 8 and do not know the back spacing
    there are some pic's in the members ride section

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i had 33x12.5x16in tires with no lift on my blazer and never had any problems it all has to do with how much backspacing you have

6. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

ya i got a 89 blazer with 33 12.50 bf muds on 15*8s and hardly ever scrape at the worst you might have to do some minor trimming but i doubt it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

mudhog do you have a pic of your rig. i got an 89 too with 1'' add a leafs from that darn saggy butt and im runnin 33's stock too haha /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I run 33 x 12.5 x 15 AT's on my factory rims and only experienced minor rubbing at full lock. I have a picture of my wheel/tire combo in the For Sale section, so you can see what kind of fender clearance I have. Click Here To See Pics.

9. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

What's the point of paying the extra money for the M/T s for a Grocery getter that stays on the road?

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Sounds encouraging. I can't view the pics, but just plan on maybe a week without the lift now. The less we have to worry about on lift day, the better! We'll already have tailgate hinge repair, pinion seal replacement and gas tank replacement on that same day. Whew!

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

You talkin' to me? It is not just a grocery getter, thank you. I happen to enjoy off-roading but my truck has been less than capable with bald A/T's and no lift. I have taken it off-road a couple of times and purchased a plat book, and have been scouting out local trails. I'd like to do a lot of wheelin' once the mods have been made!

12. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I put 33's on mine before I had it lifted and I had to cut my front fender both in front and behind of the wheel to avoid them from hitting going off-road but my wheels are 15X10. In the back you won't have any problem but in the front it might depend on how much your springs has sagged with the years, if they have a negative arch 33's will probably hit.

13. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

That's what ive got too. Tires have only tagged the front fender a few times, rears stay well clear of the sheetmetal. Go for it, there's only one way to really find out if it will work /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Guess that's why I have 36" swampers on my daily driver?

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes i do take a look at the link in my sig for the pics /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

I'm sorry about the sarcasm in my last post, I guess that I've been hanging out at pirate4x4 to long. In the original post it said that the truck does not go offroad, and if that were in fact the case, there are better road tires out there that come in the same size. P.S. my nonlifted 85k5 has 33 x 12.5 pro comp xterrains and does not rub except under serious flex, rims are stock ralley wheels.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The swaybar makes a huge difference. Take it off and flex goes way up, but so does rubbing.

How big is the lift? Without off-roading and with the swaybar on, you are OK to run with stock brake lines up to about 4" of lift. If your lift was bigger than that, you wouldn't be buying 33's.

19. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Whew. At first I thought I had better justify myself that I'm not offroading for *a week or two* until I get my lift on. No offroading sounds so sad!! Then I sent the post and sat here thinking I shoulda just said "kiss my *ss". I've been to P4x4 a few times and there is no comparison. I love it here. Seems everyone there has a bad attitude. I'll put on the 33's in about a week then! Need to take a day-long trip to pick them up. No mall poseur here, man. LOL. It is a grocery getter and a kid hauler but it doesn't stop there!

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I run 33s on 15x8 with 3.5" backspacing. The front has always done some rubbing, had to adjust the steering stops, that helped. Never had rubbed the back tires until BlazerFest back in June. Just noticed the marks on the inner part of the wheel well not too long ago. I've had my BFG MTs for 5 years now. I'm in dire need of new tires.