Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

33\'s

I am putting on 33x12.50x15 BFG M/t on my 76 Blazer with a 350 in it. How much powerlost will i notice with bigger tires and keeping the stock gears? IS anyone running this now?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 33\'s

It depends what gears you presently have and whether or not you have an auto tranny. You'll be able to cheat a little more with an auto because of slippage in the converter. If you have the manual, you're going to have a bad time. If you combined a stick, 3.08 gears and 33's you'd have to slip the clutch bad everytime you want to pull away from a stop light. Not only is it hell on the clutch, but your power sucks. Either way the engine won't exactly be in its "preferred power band."

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

I am running the same setup and I have a hard time roaching the tires (every now and then I get squirley). I run stock gears with a manual tranny and 33's and I have to slip the clutch. If you have the stock 10 bolts then I would have to say, from listening to the wise wheelers here I would throw 4.10 gears or something like that in the Blazer to offset the loss of torque from going to a bigger tire. It's not bad at high speeds but who wheels going 60 anyway? I am planning on a motor rebuild this summer. A 383 will offset the loss of torque if you go with 1.94-1.60 heads and 9:1 speed pro pistons, but then again you are delaying the inevitable clutch rebuild sooner and more often than you want to. I want Dana 60's with Detroit lockers but my wallet can't support that right now. Please tell me if I am wrong but I think you get the gist of it. Have fun!:)

4. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

alright thanx, i have a manual so it looks like i might have to swap gears. Now the next question how much is it goin to cost to change the gearing? What differences will i notice with the new gears? alright thanx for all ya help. oh yea i have a 12 bolt i think(that is the number of bolts on the diff cover right???)

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

A local shop in my area quoted me $800 for labor alone to install front & rear R&P and a rear Detroit. I had to supply the parts.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Just changed mine to 4.10s,but I got Lockers too.It came to $1400 for the parts and installed it myself(with help from an experienced friend,it wasn't that hard,just time consuming)Looked at an add,Drivetrain direct,says gears starting at $125.If you do any serious wheelin',and if you can afford it, I'd suggest the lockers too while you're at it.there's no sense in doing it twice.

<font color=green>Yes,I have driven over a F*&d lately!</font color=green>[​IMG]

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33" BFG M/T's with 3.73 rear end and SM465. It's a good all around gearing. I can break loose coming from a stop or turning a corner and getting on it. 4.11's would be nice, but since my hunting/fishing, etc. area is aobut an hour away on interstate I can live with what I have. Try this website for ideas on which gears you would like. http://www.public.asu.edu/~luv24x4/gearcalc.htm

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

8. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i guess my sm465 with 2.73 couldnt handle the 33's then huh. it seens to handle the 31's ok. i do alot of city driving, what gear ratio should i go to

9. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

you can usualy find a good set of gears in a junk yard; or from individuals who built up there vehicles, and they wanted to go bigger and bought other gears. when looking you need to be careful and patient. look closely at the gears for any rust spots, any chips, and the wear pattern of the gears. i bought some very good gears for my ford 9( in a previous toy) paid $25.00 for the set. if you have some friends at a mech. shop(if you don't get some) alot of times when they swap out gears the customer doesn't want the old ones; so the mech. grab them. you might not get the right gear that you want, but you will get better for a lot cheaper, BUT BE CAREFUL