Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

33x11.5 tires on 7" wide rims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I am looking at getting a set of 33"s to replace my badly worn 31s on the truck. It has plenty enough height to clear the new tires, but I am concerned about mounting them on my rims...

I'm using stock 2002 Chevy 8 bolt steel wheels on my GMC, which I believe are only 7" wide. The tire's spec sheet calls for a 7.5 - 9" rim. Am I going to have problems mounting it on a 7" wide wheel?

This truck will not be taken off road, only used to tow. The tires are rated for 3300 some lbs each.

2. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It can be done. Your handling might be little mushy. But you won't be doing any rally races anytime soon, right? :D

3. Russell

Wasn't planning on it :D

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Who makes a 33x11.5R16?:ears:

5. dyeager535

I don't think so, or am I missing in that thread where a 33x11.5R16 was confirmed to safely fit 7" wide wheels?

6. Russell

Dorian, they are Uniroyal Laredo Cross Countries, LT285/75R16/D, which translate to roughly 33 x 11.5 on a 8" wide rim according to their website. It is just a regular street tire, but I'm getting them in exchange for a set of Blizziaks, and the cost of dismounting the 33s, and mounting the Blizziaks.

I debated getting an all terrain, mud terrain etc, but couldn't justify it on a truck that is basically stock height, with no intent to lift it any time soon. These are just quieter, ride nicer, and wear better.

4xcrazy -- Despite my best efforts, its pretty much impossible to read absolutely every single thread on this site in a day, lol :D

laredo-cross-country.jpg

7. dyeager535

I wouldn't dismiss the "street tires". My cousins trucks outperformed two BFG AT equipped trucks (mine and a friends) in packed snow and ice conditions.

Both our trucks spun out going down hill, compression braking only, his went straight, and climbing in pretty compact snow, he managed to get better traction as well. His rig has a bit longer wheelbase, and no locker, so I'm sure some of that comes into play as well. Still, I was amazed at how well his stock tires performed. Deeper snow though, the AT's are hands down winners.

For *street only* use, I think the larger contact patch of the street tire is the better bet for just about any condition you typically see on roadways.

8. Russell

Yep, they are best for my application, but a guy still likes the look of the more aggressive tires, lol

My truck is a longbox pickup with a detroit out back, so traction shouldn't be a problem on muddy stuff. This truck will never see snow again, unless I get caught in a freak storm for some reason. Plan on taking it's insurance off in the winter, and just dding my 96 like usual :)