Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35 and back to school

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Aug 21, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Well, I went and did it today. Have been thinking of going back/starting college. I have a little over 5 years left before I can retire from the Air Force and I need to be getting ready to find a good job when I get out. It's a great time to go now since the Air Force pays 100% of my schooling. I just have to pay for the books for now but I can get grants or financial aid to help pay for those too.
    Since I work with computers everyday it only makes sense to go for a degree in Microcomputing and Networking (hopefully a good choice). The only downfall is since I already work fulltime during the day I can't go to school fulltime. Right now I'm signed up for 3 classes. A 2yr degree will end up taking me about 3 but at the same time I can finish up my Air Force degree in weather technology

So am I alone or is there some other "older" people here going to school?

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

uhhhh... My friend's mom is 41 and going to UW to get her a degree thang in psychology... my dad gradjitated from Colorado State University in 1984 (2 months before I was born, actually /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) with a bachelor of arts with high distincion major in social work... according to the diploma /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif... He was about 43 then...

Now he's 61 and I'm 19, he's older than some of my friend's grandparents /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm 25, been out of college for 3 years, Thinking about going back next month for another degree since I can't find a job with the one I got /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know how you feel, i have 8 years untill i can retire but being in 2 MARDIV i never have time, i will be getting orders next month, hopefully to Engineer school (Mon-Fri) work and get mine started. I figure if i can get a BA knocked out then i can use my MGIB to go to WyoTech or somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I finally graduated with a BS in Aeronautics in 01 at the age of 40 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Only took 24 years /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I earned a 2-year tech degree when I was in my 20's, but went to full time engineering school at age 32. I lasted 5 years working part time and going to classes before I burned out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was going to take a year off then finish the 30 cr. hrs I had left, but that was 11 years ago. I should go back and finish, but the money I'm making now is too good to give up - so the BS will wait a little longer... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Besides - I do everything a Civil PE does except seal plans.

Good luck - don't do what I did and sit out a year (or 11). It's a helluva lot easier when you're young. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif