Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35 K 454 burning oil like its pot.... Help?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, I've noticed this a lot more recently, and am finaly getting around to asking about it... my 454 (35 K miles old) started burning oil a few months ago, and has become progressively worse. I beleive its the valve seals in the passenger side head, because it only burns oil when the engine is decelerating... ( if you rev it, then let off the gas, a white cloud of smoke comes out of the exhaust, but only on the passenger side) also, the plugs on the passenger side are getting oil fouled pretty good, ( number 6 was completely bridged, and coated with wet oil)

the question at hand is of course, how hard is it to change Valve seals, with the secondary one being is this hopefully just valve seals, and not something horrendous like rings...? another quick questioin would be, if I were to just replace the damn heads, what would be a good choice of heads to go with for an eficient fuel burn, and mad power?

-Rich

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

At just 35K, it's more likely that the valve guides are bad. Low-buck rebuilders don't replace the guides, they just knurl them so that the valve stemdoesn't wobble in the guide. It lasts long enough to get past the warranty, then the knurled edges start to wear away. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Once the valve stem starts to wobble from side to side, the seals can't do their job any longer. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I can't help much on the heads. Big block aftermarket heads cost serious bucks! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do a compression test. Note the numbers then do it again but add a couple drops of oil in each cylinder just before you test it. If the second numbers are higher you have worn rings, if the numbers don't change it's valve related.

Rene

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

damnation..... I figgured/feared as much... one of the local cylendar head guys does a decent job of everything... replaces the guides/seals/seats/valves with hardened/stainless steel, and I think its something like 325/head if the heads you bring in aren't of the hardened variety... I'll have to see if I can get the hookups from one of my friends at a chevy dealership on a nice set of BBC vortechs or something like that... or goto a racing swapmeet, and get me some giant valve heads, or something...

-Rich

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

seriously, i'd look at some big block vortecs. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif that'd be awesome.

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I want some BBC vortechs... eledgedly, they increase horsepower/torque, and burn fuel better ( better gas mileage) making them an all around better head for the BBC. of course on the flip side, I'll need to spend some loots on a new manifold to fit the BBC vortechs, if I want to continue using my carbureator, or I think I can get my current manifold cross drilled to work, or something like that... I may as well upgrade the manifold, if I put better heads on... no reason to get kickass heads, or even decent heads, if the lowrise manifold is just going to suck the life out of it, and a performer manifold only costs like 140+/- anyway...

-Rich