Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35"s with no lift and no flared fenders.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by prerunner1982, Dec 19, 2002.

1. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

35\"s with no lift and no flared fenders.....

i know that you can run 33"s in the rear.. but how about 35"s? where do they rub? i am running 15x8.5s (not sure on back spacing) running 31x11.5"s right now.. no problems.. i think 35"s will be cutting it close.. but cant find anyone who makes flared bedesides for 73-87s..

stuck my buddies 35"s next to my truck and liked the look.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif tight fit though....

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Re: 35\"s with no lift and no flared fenders.....

Hey Jon...I've been told that you can poke a 35" under the back if you use the correct offset 8" wide rim. You could always spring for the late model front glass and bolt up some late bedsides on the back....
    [​IMG]

3. prerunner1982

michael, actually i have thought about 'glass fenders.. but will probably stick with stock body style. i also found out that Hanneman will be producing flared glass bedsides for 73-87s starting next year..soo we will see what happens.. might be awhile...

also michael.. do you have inner fenders on the front? i would like to run them with flared fenders, but not sure how....

4. prerunner1982

michael... i have noticed our trucks are looking alot alike.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    long lost brothers?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I haven't had inner fenders for about 3 years now. I haven't seen any problems other than a little extra grime on the engine. Sure makes maintenance easier without them. You could always fab some up out of aluminum or plastic sheet.

Is that your replacement bed?

6. prerunner1982

yes sir.. thats the "new" bed.. alittle rough but i am slowly putting primer on it. [​IMG]

would you happen to have a pic of your engine bay?

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here's the only one I have of the passenger side firewall.....ahhh yes, it leaks a bit of oil.....
    [​IMG]

8. prerunner1982

michael.. sorry for all the questions.. but did you have to make the mount for the hood/fender support? or did that come with the fender?

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

No problem, man answers are free!! I added the bars that extend from the firewall to the core-support. I was concerned the 'glass fenders alone wouldn't hold the core-support by themselves. Also, I needed a place to mount the new hood hinges. It is just a piece if 1.75" tube with some little pieces of angle welded onto the ends, so I could bolt thru to the sheetmetal on each end. I can get some better pics if ya need 'em.

10. prerunner1982

hmmm... maybe rethinking this 'glass fender idea after all.... i dont like the idea of the front end not having any support...but yes i would certainly appreciate some more pics... still not sure what i want to do.. stick with 31s or bump it up to 35s??

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you like the 31's stick with 'em. 35's make any frontend problems you have much worse. They are harder on all your other components, you'll really need new gears for the rear (I haven't had the $$$ yet) and either 'glass front fenders, for no lift, or some kind of previously discussed lift. Unless you wanna spend some big $$$ it'll drive much worse than 31's. I like my 35's and am willing to put up with the resulting compromises, but it's really not sensible for running up and down the highway....and without gears and some type of locker, I can get stuck on a flat muddy road.

The two bars I added for the core support/hood mounts have been very adequate and cost little or nothing to make, so I wouldn't let those stop me from buying 'glass fenders if ya really want 'em.

12. prerunner1982

Michael.. i like my 31"s, but would like 35"s more..if you didnt use the bars like you did on your fenders, what would be a good way to mount the hood? dont want to have to lift the whole hood off everytime i have to get into it...i was thinking if i used lift coils, and longer upper arms, wouldnt the longer arms fix the camber problem the longer coils cause?

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You wouldn't need a longer top arm unless you got a longer bottom one also. What you have to do whether you run a lift coil or spacer is space the top balljoint down an appropriate amount. Stock, the balljoint is on top of the a-arm. It needs to be moved to below with a spacer between it and the arm. This is what Fabtech and AIM/ChassiTech sell as a 2-3" lift, a longer spring with balljoint spacers. This is what I had and I didn't like it. It leaves you with little or no down travel, which may or may not bother you. You can buy a new top arm that has a dropped bucket where the balljoint mounts, AIM sells them, but I can't acces their site right now...you know the ones....they might be a decent solution, but I don't know how the adress the down travel problem. I think the best thing I have heard is modifying the stock arm to accept an early 90's lift spindle. There is a guy in California with a set of arms already modified for $50...PM me if ya want his email. This way you can retain the stock ride and get a lift. I posted a note on this mod on another thread about spacers.

As far as hood hinges go...they have to mount somewhere. If not to a bar then some type of fabircated plate. The bar is too easy not to do. It kills two birds. I can make ya a couple if the time comes.

14. prerunner1982

yeah i would definatly like his email, i had originally wanted to do a spindle lift.. that would be good..would i have to modify brakes??? if i end up getting the fenders, i will certainly be more than willing to pay you for your services of building a set of bars, predrilled? i am pretty indecisive as this point about the 'glass fenders though.. i like the look of my truck right now. 31s are ok.. but i would certainly like a set of 35s, though i do quite a bit of highway driving... i will email the guy with the arms and see about trying a lift first... michael i really appreciate your help man...you are really the only person i have found that i can contact that has tried these things on a 73-87.. of course after christmas and such all these ideas are just future plans, but if the arms are a good deal i might go ahead and get them... thanks a bunch man.. take care!

jon

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

How much weight do you think you've lost with adding the fiberglass?

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I can fix you up with some tubes if ya go that route....easy bolt on. I emailed you the adress for the guy with the arms.

Sandman, I really don't know on the weight issue. The 'glass fenders are very light and I don't run the inner metal tubs, so there several pounds there. I can try to weigh a fender sometime. I'm undecided on a 'glass hood.....I want to retain the hinges etc. and by the time you get a real nice stiff 'glass hood it starts to weigh alot and is $$$$. I was more interested in the clearance with the 'glass than the weight savings......and I'm sure my cage and big tires have made up for that anyway. You could really "gut out" a lot of the stock fender if weight was your primary goal and save some $$.

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I was looking at the weight thing and was wondering how much it would save to start adding glass panels. I noticed a big difference when I went to the soft top and rear discs. I see you can get glass doors also.

18. prerunner1982

michael could you email the email address of that guy in cali again? not sure if i deleted it or what?....

19. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Okie Dokie.

20. prerunner1982

what email are you sending it to? Prerunner1982@aol.com?