Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35 spline 60 stubs....How hard are they to break?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm curious to see how many of you with 35 spline outers have broken them. And the situation surronding the breakage. Did it happen in mud, rocks, dirt etc etc, where ya standin on the go pedal or easy on it. Was the breakage from horsepower or low gearing or both. What size tires/gears/tranny etc? Questions only apply to stock Spicer stubs. No Superior, Yukon, Warn etc. I'm basically tryin to decide how much of a priority it should be for me to get some aftermarket alloy outers.
    I'm gonna run Spicer 35 spline stubs, the Spicer forged 5-806x u-joints, and Warn drive flanges. Maybe CTM's some day... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif No locker in the 60 yet, but it WILL get a Detriot in the future.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

........................Bueller.................Bueller?............. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only breakage I have seen after the 35 spline stubs are hubs and u-joints. And with the guys that were running drive flanges, it was the u-joints... Usually the greasable kind.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what ever it is Joe, you'll break it.

that being said, I've never busted my 30 splines and Tony just broke a 30 spline but it took dumb luck and Upper Helldorado to do it.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Where Tony was at, with those tires, something had to go. If the stub didn't go, it would have been a u-joint, inner, or hub. Most likely the hub. That was a guaranteed break any way you look at it if you don’t just simply come up short on torque. With what he is running now, just like mine, it will almost certainly be the u-joint.

6. TOBYONE

TOBYONE Registered Member

I broke one in hole #6 in the tank trap.I hope they show it in the video. i wasn't even on the gas !! the week i got back from ttc I broke another one. then the next weekend i broke one at the pirate party at katemcy.contact Matt at west texas offroad.matt hooked me up wiyh some chr-olly ones give him a call.325-651-5010 pm me if i can help in anyway. toby

7. Mudzer

Toby, were you running the Spicer brand? What Chromoly brand is Matt selling?

Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And off the subject, but while we have you here...

Are you getting good enough line pressure to the rear line locks on your rig to actually lock a tire up for "cutting brakes"? Mine are not locking up a tire, but are applying pressure to the calipers. Just wanted your secret since you use Drum brakes vs. me using Disk's.

8. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Toby was originally running stock spicer stuff, but switched to the CTM joints and Yukon stubs that Matt sells. They are nice quality for the price. Much better than stock.

For me, stock spicer 35 spline stuff was really easy to break. I could break the inner, outer, and joint on command. I never tried the alloy stuff, just got a little too pissed at breaking, so now my axle is up for sale. I hate mud, and only ran on rocks. Started running 42's on hummer beadlocks, but then switched to 37's on alum wheels to try and keep from breaking, but it continued.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm....

Some are saying that 35 spline stuff doesn't break, just the u-joints and/or hubs. Some are saying they can and will break. Toby...Other than the one you busted in the tank trap...what where the details/circumstances surrounding the other breaks?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

alot if it is driving style.

if you get your tire wedged under a rock, the decide its time to smash the go-juice pedel, it'll break, or if you try to never use the gas and idle over everything, it'll save parts.

I think Door #1 is yours, Joe /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    Toby was originally running stock spicer stuff, but switched to the CTM joints and Yukon stubs that Matt sells. They are nice quality for the price. Much better than stock.

For me, stock spicer 35 spline stuff was really easy to break. I could break the inner, outer, and joint on command. I never tried the alloy stuff, just got a little too pissed at breaking, so now my axle is up for sale. I hate mud, and only ran on rocks. Started running 42's on hummer beadlocks, but then switched to 37's on alum wheels to try and keep from breaking, but it continued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you are the rock whore master of breakage right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You Git It? Never understood the whole "If I break it, I git it more than thou" idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Silly Boay, don't you know you can break Rockwells too? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Even Camo broke his 60 on the first outing. Of course he was driving like an idiot. You know, it doesnt take any brains to smash the skinny everywhere you go. ANYBODY CAN DO IT! I could break anybodys rig - and I mean anybodys.

Damn Boay, 'Ebody know Dat!

Which shafts did you break - What brand? What Joints where you running? Did you happen to try the 300M CTM shafts yet? I do get tired of breaking parts and certainly don't brag about it. I will say one thing - a Rockwell under a K5 does work well - but, it can be broken. Ask YellerBlazer how! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. TOBYONE

like someone said you can break anything....I broke one the weekend i got back.the tire was in a hole and i gave it a little gas and pop it went. was getting tired of breaking...thats when matt hooked me up.i was running only spicer stuff and it was't holding up.The q. regarding my cutting brake they don't work as good as i want i use my e-brake to assist them.anyway its still fun.toby

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My understanding is that the u-joint C clip typically plays a big factor in the failure. Under heavy load the cap distorts and the clip will come offallowing the cup to spit out of the axle. Simply upgrading to full circle snap rings is supposed to cut down on the instances of u-joint failure.

For the record: I said cut down not eleminate. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. TOBYONE

you are correct on the c clip , my spicer failures were breaking at the inner axle needle bearing area. ihave not broke any in about two months. thats cause i haven't drove it in two months.ha ha. been trying to make my burban look cool.coming soon.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow toby, so cool to see another TTC compeditor be a member at CK5. Nothing to add to the D60 discussion...I'm leaving mine 30 spline and seeing what happens.

16. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm just upgrading to the Yukon 4340 35 splines, drive flanges and the new spicer 5-806x (solid) joints. We'll see how things go... 42's on hummers AIRED DOWN should be kewl. I can't wait to give it a shot. Next weak spot I anticipate... the stock 1310 yoke on the 60... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Dan

17. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had a Warn 35 spline hub fail on Sunday over BB03, I think it must have really happened on Saturday though, on Sunday I went to lock in the hub and noticed it was stuck in the open position while reading lock, other than that no problems, but I "never" get on the skinny pedal. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

18. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Steve-

Was your shaft a spicer, or a 4340 unit?

-Dan

19. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Hey Toby there seems to be a trend here - it appears you starting having problems after you put that bottle in it at top truck. coincindence?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I havent broken any 35 splines in my burb but Im running an aluminum head small block, lighter and less torque. A friend has gone thru a couple ring and pinions and a u-joint with no failure from the stubs. We both have Spicers.

20. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Steve-

Was your shaft a spicer, or a 4340 unit?

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Spicer, not was, is, I need to pick up a spare stub this winter just in case, but haven't had any break on me "yet".