Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35 spline Dana 60 FF rear... what's my donor ride???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazinaire, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

35 spline Dana 60 FF rear... what\'s my donor ride???

Title pretty much states it, looking for a 35 spline dana 60 full float rear axle preferrably a few inches wider than a stock 10/12/14 bolt. This will be completely gutted and ground down so coil/link mounts or spring perch positions don't worry me. I have heard that ford E-350 vans are 35 spline but don't know for sure, heck, I thought I scored on a 3/4 ton 96 ram axle but even it was only 30 spline ( yep same diamater as my chromoly 12 bolt shafts /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) Where else should I be looking? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Re: 35 spline Dana 60 FF rear... what\'s my donor ride???

Hmmmm I dont know what would have that particular axle. Have you tried the gurus on POR? It sounds like you may have a beast that is very rare to find, or its a custom unit. I know dynatrac can make you something like you want. Maybe even get one of those aluminum center sections for reduced unsprung wieght. Why not run a 9" or a 14 bolt SF?

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

trust me, a 9'' was/ is still next in line as to which rear axle to run but I figure that if I'm getting new wheels anyway it wouldn't kill me if I went 8 lug /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif(d60 rear)

Another thing is that I want to use parts that can be found at the local junkyard/ auto parts store which a 6 lug 9'' shaft and brakes would not be (or I'd have to change the front to the ford outers) I think that the 60 would be the better all around axle after the tubes are boxed.

The plan is boxed tubes, 4.88's, detroit, disk brakes and beat the snot out of it all day long with 37''s and not stress about it. 14sf is out of the question, if I'm changing my axle again (this will be #6) it will not use c-clips. I should be able to pick up either axle at a bone yard for about $150 and then build as budget allows, so a custom assembly is also out of the question.

I plan on building it in the garage over time since the 12 bolt is still in pretty good shape then when the swap comes I could either put the 12 in the burb or sell it for about 1/4 of what I've paid for it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

My 77 doge had a d60 rear but I thought it was 30 spline I may be wrong but I was thinking all rear D60 were 30 spline.
    Earl

5. edlavarreda

edlavarreda Registered Member

HEY BLAZINAIRE I JUST GOT BACK FROM PICKING UP A FORD D44 AND REAR D60 BOTH COMPLETE TO THE LUG NUTS BOTH FOR $75.OO FOR MY BUDDYS 2001 SUPERCREW AXLE CONVERSION I LL COME BY THE STORE TOMORROW

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I had three D60 rear axles at one time, all were 30 spline. I am not sure if a factory 35 spline version exists....

D70 can be had in 35 splines, much more common under the Furds. You won't have to 'box' those tubes, but if you did then holy crap that thing would weigh a ton. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the width's and all but if you are looking for an application that had a 35 spline rear Dana 60 in it look at SOME mid 80's Ford trucks . Not all had 35 spline but SOME did . Check the B.O.M. number to be sure .
    FYI not all HD rear Dana 60's had 35 splines most were the smaller 30 splines and be sure not to get a Dana model 61 . The B.O.M. will tell all .
    Good luck , Tom

8. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

You can find that information on Powertrax website. Here in a link to the application guide.
    Powertrax Application guide
    It shows all available axles for the different years. Hope this helps

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Just to add another data point that seems to agree w/ what most are saying....
    [​IMG]
    Rear D60 from 81 Dodge 3/4 ton - 30 spline /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    BTW, Az-kickin has the disc brake setup for this axle...

Marv

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It looks like there isnt a 35 spline semi float beast around like you want. I would say your best bet is going to be a 35 spline carrier with 35 spline shafts from an aftermarket company.

11. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    I would say your best bet is going to be a 35 spline carrier with 35 spline shafts from an aftermarket company.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds good.... but ? is, can you do it w/ the housing you've got. In my case, the spindles on the end of the axle tubes are not large enough for a 35 spl axle to go thru them. So the bore would have to be enlarged. Boring down that deep can be expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and you could arguably get into some strength reduction issues doing it.... or I was told that I could weld 14b ends on it.

I elected to stay 30 spl and see how often I'm breaking it...

Marv

12. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

13. marv_springer

Thanks Rob....

Lotta good info there.

Marv