Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35 spline Dana 60 Rear....they way to go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Oct 19, 2004.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Cash aside, is the D60 rear potentially the best balance between strength and weight?

I'm not about to change from ym 14bolt, but I've aquired a FF D60 recently and have 35 spline shafts from a D70 (actually I have the whole diff), so in my mind if I were to change the carrier to a 35 spline with the D70 shafts, the only weak link, if any at all, is the ring gear size. That said, how many here have actualyl witnessed a D60 rear gearset take a dump?

Yeah I know 14FF's are cheap, but I already have this diff. Yeah I know Detroit are cheap, but this sounds like a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    In future I plan to build up a S10 hybrid, so I'm defanitly looking at this option. Thoughts?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

run the 70

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I saw run the D70 also, you have some many more gear options /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I run a 35 spline D60 in the rear of my very heavy K5 and have not had any problems. And I beat the hell out of this thing. Only had the axles for a year and a half though.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd go with the 60. Mainly cause I'm looking for a 60 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw run the D70 also, you have some many more gear options /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the 60 has just as many gear ratios available as the 70, all the way down to 7.17. If weight and a small amount of ground clearance are issues for you, then run a 60. My truck has a stock 30 spline 60, and its gettin yanked.

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If you have a complete 35 spline 70 just run that.To make a full float 60 take 1.5 shafts the spindles will most likely have to be bored out.

I had a 30 spline 60 and was going to do that but it was less trouble to go out and get a 35 spline 70.Compared to a 14 bolt,70 parts cost about the same when buying R&P,bearings,brakes,and stuff.The only thing that was more was the Detroit.

And with a mild shave I have more clearance that with the 14 bolt that was in my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Have you guys been reading my mind???
    I have a 60 rear out of a '78 Furd I'm building for the K5. The reasons I like the 60. (coming from a guy that has run 1/2 ton axles and likes them...) The ground clearance, full float design, just as easy to buy parts for, and I know you guys could care less but the less unsprung weight IMO the better. Things you may not like the carrier bearings tend to spin if not pre loaded properly, when going to lower gear sets (higher numericaly) the pinion can be the weak spot. I think as far as weight goes I can move the 60 around by myself but the 14 bolts are a 2 man job.
    I would say if your going to run 38s or smaller (on the trail) you do not need a 14 bolt, or the 35 spline upgrade. But then again I have never liked the idea of wheeling a 14, unless you NEED 40s and up. But then again you do have a 70 which is better than the 14...

9. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother if I was just going to run the 70, as I would be going from one boat anchor to the next.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother if I was just going to run the 70, as I would be going from one rock anchor to the next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'd run the '70 though.

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Just how much more clearance is there on a 60 over a 14 bolt?? How about the 70??

[/ QUOTE ]the 60 has just as many gear ratios available as the 70, all the way down to 7.17. If weight and a small amount of ground clearance are issues for you, then run a 60. My truck has a stock 30 spline 60, and its gettin yanked.

[/ QUOTE ]

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

didn't whiteknight have a D60 rear and switched to a ff14b? maybe they will contribute their thoughts on the hybrid with a 60 rear thing...

j

13. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just how much more clearance is there on a 60 over a 14 bolt?? How about the 70??

[/ QUOTE ]

From my shaved 14 bolt to my shaved 70,I gained about 1/2" if I remember right.I could have taken more off of the 70 but I got tired of grinding /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif My 70 is a bit lighter than my old 14 bolt also.

But I didnt do the swap for clearance or weight loss,I did it for the gear ratio Even if I lost a bit of clearance,it would be well worth the trade off.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

even unmolested the 70 slides over stuff a ton better then a stock 14ff