Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35 SPLINE OUTERS FOR DANA 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

thinking about doing this myself, and wondered who all has done it, and the best place to get the parts. I know Warn will make the hubs. I have heard six states for the outer shafts. Who has the best prices???

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

I would also know how this works out. I believe Dynatrac would have the outers that you would need, but probably at a high price. I think they also make hub flanges that will make them a full time unit.

Ric

"Wheel hard or go home."
    See my K5 at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/BOWTIE/bowtie1.jpg>http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/BOWTIE/bowtie1.jpg</A>

3. Brians 60s

yeah, there is no doubt that dynatrac has all the products i would need, but there prices are in orbit. They want $4,000.00 for a bone stock dana 60. options go up from there.
    They make Boyce look cheap.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>is this for the front or the rear?</font color=blue>

5. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Check the Pirate 4x4 list and do a search. They have the part number. You should get it for around $70-80 for one stub shaft. You should have to only change the hubs and that is it.

Donovan
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rustbucket.coloradok5.com>http://www.rustbucket.coloradok5.com</A>
    Bigger is Better

6. Brians 60s

this is for a front 60

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I know Shawn has done it. He says it was about $75 for each stub from Six States and also $200 for the Warn hubs. Keep in mind you'll probably need to replace the Ujoints too, another $120 or so for two [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I'll be doing this when my Warn regular hubs go.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

For the 35 spline shafts, the #'s I have are 382871, both sides the same. I got mine at Six States. They might be on back order though.

The 35 spline hubs I use are Warns part # 38787 (single hub). The pair of hubs is part # 38786 but I found the pair was more expensive than getting two singles. These do have lock screw on the dial and a positive blocker ring that prevents the hublock from jumping out of gear when the dial is in the lock position. This blocker ring makes it difficult to lock the hubs in since you have to rock or move the vehicle so the splines line up. Since this is such a pain in the ass, I removed the blocker ring so the hubs work just like normal hubs. Instead of having a "click" when you go to lock or un-lock, there's nothing. I found that the cheapest way to get the hubs is with a 20% carparts.com coupon.

You can also get Warns 12 bolt full floater full time hubs which are the same cost as the lockables.

Dial with lock screw:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/dana35spline/warn3.jpg

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Brian, have you or anyone else broke their 30 spline outers? I haven't seen it happen yet with the for or five people that I have run with that have Dana 60's. Just wondering

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I don't think it's so much that the stubs break, I think it's more that the 30 spline hubs break. So swithching to the 35spline stubs would force you to use the stronger hubs. But the 30 Spline hubs would fail before the stubs, which is a good thing. Who knows what the weak link will be with 35spline hubs...probably still the hubs though, which is a good choice for the weak link though I guess (hubs).
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have to look at my 30 spline hubs, they have been making some kind of small rubbing noise ever since Moab, your starting to scare me now.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

12. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I see them often on ebay too.

That's because I'm the devil.

13. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I`ve got the 35spline stubs and hubs with info I got from Shawn awhile back, Hey Shawn you need to get your article done for the 35spline swap so you dont have to kept repeating this!

I think that the reasoning behind using the 35stubs is to make your weak link the locking hub instead of the stub that will most likely wipe out some other things when/if it goes. The locking hub is easy to change and dont take up much space in your rig to carry spares.

I dont think that the 35spline hub is any stronger than the 30spline ones, it looks like Warn my have just opened up the splined hole to the 35 dia.

RGF

14. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

a bunch of ford guys claim they break the stub alot.
    quite a few people online have asked why i dont run the 35 splines. i have had no trouble with the stockers. the 1310s in the front driveshaft will most likely save the stubs but with the no horsepower i am running currently i dont think it will be a problem.

15. Brians 60s

thanks guys especially shawn for answering my questions.

Steve, as far as breaking go's I have only seen 2 stub shaft fail. Both were in trucks with big block chevs with 44 boggers and were stuck or trying to get stuck at the Foster mud races. I just like to subscribe to the buy it once theory,
    although since i am getting a little crustier I am not as hard on sheyet. Come to think of It i have only seen 1 60 break a ring and pinion, but that is because he was running 6.17s and as you probably know, when you run gears that low, your pinion is smaller than a pop can. also have seen a custom dana 70 open knuckle that had 60 outers... pretty cool since it was 35 spline... Brian

16. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

The 35 spline Warn hub is stronger then the 30 spline Warn hub because it has 35 splines. More splines equals more surface area, stronger hub.
    I broke a front Dana 60 spindle while I was in Moab this month. I think I did it coming down a tall step in 2wd low. The wheels jerked hard to the left and most of the weight of the truck was on my front axle. The wheel bearing nuts tore a chunk of the threads off the bottom of the spindle. I didn't notice until the next day when the wheel started wobbling. The outer bearing was smashed into little pieces and fell out while I was driving. A large piece of the inner race shaped like a "C" came out and stuck in my rear Swamper while driving 10 mph down US191 back to camp. $286 in parts later I replaced the bearings, races, manual hub, and spindle in camp. With 35 spline outers and hubs the weak link is split between the hub and u-joint.
    I don't want 35 spline hubs until I upgrade my front driveshaft. I'd rather have a hub let go then a driveshaft or u-joint grenade.
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 4" lift, 38" TSL's on steel wheels

17. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

I know a guy in Florida that has 35 spline stubs w/Warn hubs.His thuck runs a mild 350 th400 w/bolt up 208 and an indpendent 205. He likes to pull Tug of War.14bolt rear welded,chevy dana 60 front w/a spool 5.13ring and pinnion.He has never broken a stub BUT he did spread the eye where the u joint cap presses in.He has broken 7 front ring and pinnions and one rear R/P.Im not sure about the locking hubs though. Just F.Y.I. if any one cares

18. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've never broken a 1-ton front axle part, but I've only run them for 6-8 months, I'm still using the truck like it has a 10 bolt and 37's!
    What I've heard and seen is this:
    30 spline stubs break fairly often, but usually with 40" up tires (which is why many of us have 60's), occasionally with shorter ones. Friend here broke a pair at the same time with 37's on a YJ with 4.0L. Fatigue happens!
    When the stub goes, sometimes the hub becomes a missle.
    So you upgrade to 35spl the hub becomes the weaker part. They look weaker than a 30 spline, the gear gets a lot thinner.
    So you go to drive gears, then you break the ujoint or yoke on the shaft.
    So I'm not sure what to do. I run 35 spl with a hub, sometimes with a gear, and carry a spare driveshaft, hoping that it'll go first, so I have something easy to replace.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

19. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

"Brian, have you or anyone else broke their 30 spline outers? I haven't seen it happen yet with the for or five people that I have run with that have Dana 60's."

I blew one last weekend. Took out the dial on the hub ('80 OE Spicer) with it. Looking into 35 spline outers now. BTW, I run an OE front drive shaft with a CV top and 1310 lower.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

20. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

So Stephen you think a 30 spline hub is stronger then a 30 spline stub axle. I thought Dana designed the axle to break from the outside in. Hub, stub, u-joint, and then inner axle in that order. The stub is more then an 1" in diameter and the hub is 2 thin splined sleeves.
    I bet Brian Waddell in the 72 Suburban drives like he's got a front Dana 60 and 44" Boggers. [​IMG]
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 4" lift, 38" TSL's on steel wheels