Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350/203 to a 350/208 swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77 Mud Buddy, Nov 26, 2002.

1. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 350/203 set up, I would like to go to a 350/208 set up! I have a 208 with all the levers and linkages lined up! I know I need an adapter plate between the 350 and 208, but what else do I need to make this swap work and how much will that stuff cost? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks for the help in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You will need driveshafts. The front will need to be longer and the rear will need a shaft to fit the slip yoke t-case.

Dont know if you know it or not, but the 208 shifter mounts to the floor and the 203 mounts to the transfer case adapter.

You might also want to check on the crossmember, it may be different too.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I thought that the 203 mounted to the transfer case itself but the 205 mounted to the adapter. I know, splitting hairs.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Well, technically it uses the mounting bolts for the case, but is in front of the adapter. The adapter on a th350/203 is basically a 1/2 inch plate that bolts to the tranny and then the range box.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I get it. I've got a 203 adapter sitting on my desk here. I didnt know the linkage used the mounting bolts. thanks.

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i have done this swap and you need to change output shafts to make it work- which means taking your trannie completely apart. you will also need an output shaft out of a th350 that had a 208 behind it. the output shaft is much longer on the 208 versions. not too hard to do though. i had a trannie manual. took a couple hours (once trannie was out) and some assembly grease (holds all the clutches in place. you can use vasaline too i guess) good time to rebuild if you need it. i actually had a 2wd trannie that was is good shape so i used it.

you'll like being able to stab the 208 on with one arm and start the bolts with the other. can't do that with a 203!

7. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll have to think about this swap a bit more. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Any more info /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks!

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

if your trannie is in good shape, go to the junkyard and find a trannie that went to a 208. who cares if its toast, just steal the output shaft out of it for your trannie. get the addaptor too if its still there. i think early 80s are when the where most common. right before they went to the 700r.