Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350/208 tp 465/205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wally81k5, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I tryed this post in the garage but did not get any awnsers. Just thought I would try here!

I know there hae been some post on this in the past, but i search and can only find a little info. I still have some q's. I have no motor in it right now.

1)Once i drop the driveshafts and cross member, will the tranny just lower out with the t-case or are there some bolt holding them in on top?

2)Does anyone have any tips from doing it themselves?

3)Will my old speedo cable hook up?

4)What other lines do i need to keep? Like that tv cable or do i not have one?

5)Whats up with the reverse light going from auto to std?

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I went from a TH350/203 to a 465/203. Quite a bit of work, but not too hard to do. It is easier to find an entire donor truck because you will need the tranny, case, bellhousing, clutch, pedals, linkage, frame bracket, and possibly the xmember and drivelines. Good luck!
    Oh, you will want to drop the tcase first or take the tranny and tcase out in one piece.

3. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just did the TH350/NP203 to SM465/NP205 swap. There is a TON of info on the board about swapping in 465/205s. You may have to do some more creative searching, but it is there.

Once you unbolt the Crossmember and the bolts into the engine block, it should come right down.

Tip: Stay out of the way as it's coming down.
    T-Cases are heavy and they HURT. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Don't know about the speedo on a 208. The cable from my 203 plugged right into the 205... but I haven't checked to see if it's accurate yet.

You won't need the tv cable with the 465.

The reverse light switch is on the top of the 465 on the drivers side. There is a plug (With two-tone green wires) that hooks up to it. Hopefully you have the plug. On the bottom of the steering column (automatic) by the floorboard is the "neutral-safety" switch. That's where the green wires from the automatic tranny reverse lights hook in. Splice from there to the plug on the 465 and you should be good to go.

BTW: The purple wires to the safety switch in the automatic are important too! They hook to a safety switch on the clutch in a manual. The switch closes when the clutch is depressed and allows the voltage/current to go through to the starter. You need to either hook this up right or splice the wires together to get the truck to start. (Don't ask why I know this.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)) Be careful if you just splice though. There's a reason they make sure the clutch is in when you start the truck!

Good Luck!

-Ben

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW: The purple wires to the safety switch in the automatic are important too! They hook to a safety switch on the clutch in a manual. The switch closes when the clutch is depressed and allows the voltage/current to go through to the starter. You need to either hook this up right or splice the wires together to get the truck to start. (Don't ask why I know this.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)) Be careful if you just splice though. There's a reason they make sure the clutch is in when you start the truck!

[/ QUOTE ]

I eliminated this one because sometimes I want to start it in gear.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Saved my bacon too! Was able to turn the trucks nose downhill (with the starter) to compression start it out in the middle of nowhere at night when the carbs float stuck. Only took two miles of downhill before it finally unstuck itself /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have to agree.

I just wanted to make sure that if Wally spliced it, he did it as a conscious decision.

I kept mine hooked to the clutch, but I plan to put in an override switch so I can start it in gear also......
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    -Ben