Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 305

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foolhardy, Jul 15, 2005.

1. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

how can you vissually tell the diffrence from a 305 to a 350 with out looking at the casting numbers. i think my truck has a 350 crate but i am not too shure

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can't, they are identicle on the outside. the easiest way is to pull the alternator and find the stamping and look up the suffix.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

virtually impossible, good luck with that lol especialy in the late 70s and all through the 80s,

if you know engine is original then you can pretty much figure out which it is by the year make model and application

any 80s cars would eb 267 or 305

any 5 or 10 series trucks 80s would be 305

and it goes from therer

youre best to get a flashlight and a long flatblade screwdriver or similar instrument and a junk cloth and soem carb cleanr or something along thos elines and clean off that deck stamping pad below behind alternator down there where fuel line form pump to carb is supposed to run(factory)

get last three CAPITALIZED letters from that deck pad and look for it here: http://www.nastyz28.com/spmenu.html these are listed in
    alphabetical order

or go to google search home page and type in the three letters and then the term: stamping, or 305, or 350, or engine

youll find it and have your answer with not much work or time at all, this is how to check any v8 engines and some L-6(later years called I-6) engines

good luck and happy stamping suffix code decoding

4. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

i have have alredy did that there is no stamping i think that the engine is a 87-95

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Are you sure that is correct ? :whistle:

6. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

on the back of the block where the bell houseing bolts ( just below the head and oil pressure hole) on the driverside top is the casting number alot of 85 and newer engines say either 5.0 or 5.7 there. its hard to see but fastest way i know, if its not labeled 5.0 or 5.7 get the number and look it up on mortec.com

balzer

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, Y bodies,F-bodies and B-bodies for three got 350's. :wink1: