Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350-330 Horse GM Performance Parts Crate Motor Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by transcore1, Oct 17, 2002.

1. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

Anybody out there swapped the 330 horse factory crate motor and used the stock TBI unit and computer (with modifications)??????Will it work? Do you have to change the cam? It seems like a great deal and I can't put a comparable rebuilt package together for the money (and it is all new factory parts). I have seen it as low as $2100. I know I will have to buy a new manifold for the Vortec heads but what other challenges await?

2. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I know Mike (Mr. Chevy 4x4) has this motor in his Blazer. Don't remember if his was a carb or a TBI unit, because I was too busy drooling over his MPI setup /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif on the work bench. You might want to try and contact him, e may be able to help you out.

Lance

3. transcore1

I know somebody has some input on this.
    Help me out, I NEED HORSEPOWER........... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

You do not need horse power, you NEED torgue!!!!

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Exactly /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

go to www.thirdgen.org if you don't get anything from the guy mentioned earlier. (Mike)

The only real problem you should have, is if the cam doesn't produce enough vacuum.

If you already have a 350 in there, it should be pretty darn easy to do. I like the idea of the crate motors with their warranty's and such, but two things I noticed on the Performance Parts engines: (which the 330 one you are talking about is) 12 months PARTS ONLY warranty. Aren't the non "Performance" engines warranties "full coverage"? (no, looking at the other ones, they are the same) Second, they say right on scoggin dickeys page that the 330HP motor wasn't intended for injected applications. There's a custom engine section (http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&catid=1577) that shows a TBI motor. Compare the cams, the 330HO has a much different cam.

Look at the power numbers, you'll see the TBI motor is close to the 330HO on torque, but that peak is a bit lower, which is typically better for a truck. Besides, how exactly did they rate the HP/TQ on those motors? TBI motor with TBI and the other with carb? Both with carb? What intake was used? And so on.

Now, if only GM would build the motors to YOUR specs (your choice of cam for instance) they would be just about perfect.

I like the idea of the warranty, and all new parts, but a used block, with all the other stuff added, would probably cost you less to have built, (used short block, $200 acquisition at most, Vortec heads $550 to your door, cam $120, pistons $150 at most, machine work $500 or so, and a bunch of misc. small stuff) with one probable exception, and that is warranty.

Even with a warranty though, you always have the chance that when something goes wrong, they blame you. GM seems to be pretty good at NOT doing this, but it is a hassle that sometimes comes up with warranty claims.

7. transcore1

Thanks for the input, I'll check it out. SDPC has a 280HP motor they say requires no mods. makes some decent torque numbers but when you step up to the "HO" with Vortec heads it goes up like $1200. A GMPP 330HP crate motor with a $200
    manifold and a $150 cam seems like the way to go. Even if it takes a custom chip and fuel pump to feed it would still be cheaper and more powerful. RIGHT????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As the others implied, you shouldn't be looking solely at HP numbers. Higher HP is great, but typically, its at a much higher RPM, and torque follows the same pattern.

Most trucks don't see that kind of RPM, (unless you mud for instance) and even if they do, peak power at 4000RPM doesn't do you any good if you never take it that high. Trucks are big and heavy, and to enjoy them on the street (not racing of course) low end torque makes life good.

Look at the truck motors, they have NEVER been designed as high HP beasts from the factory (save some one off exceptions probably) they are all made for torque. Torque gets you moving, and the lower the RPM it peaks at, and the higher the peak number is, the easier it will be to get the truck moving.

The motor I'm building (for the cost) would be considered by most to be pathetic in HP numbers, 275HP peak at 4000RPM, but TQ, it peaks at 426ft lbs, at 2000RPM, and falls below 400 at 3500RPM, typical driving/shifting RPM's for me. With that amount of torque, low RPM shifting shouldn't be a problem.

If I wanted more "power", (but higher up in the RPM range) I'd be planning a more aggressive cam, a non-stock TPI plenum, and headers. Of course, I *have* to go with headers, it's a shame to restrict the motor when you don't have to. (HP up to 300 and tq up to 459 on the motor I was talking about, with JUST a change from manifolds to headers)

All of these numbers I throw out should be considered slightly more than estimates, since its done on desktop dyno 2k, but that program has proven itself close enough to real world for me, when using accurate figures to plug into it.