Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 4 Bolt Main

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Dec 15, 2004.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I have the oportunity to buy a 4 bolt main 350, for a rebuild, the owner wants 150 for a complete engine that needs rebuilding. I am wondering if i should go for it or not, the deck needs to be resurfaced. I am worried about the block being cracked, should i get it magnifluxed, or just take my chance that it is not cracked. I was told that a magniflux may not pic up all the cracks. SO what do you guys think.

Thanks

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well 150 is a good price. Was it running before pulled?

If you are going to spend time and money on a rebuild I would get the block tested for sure. Also find out if the 350 has ever been rebuilt in the past. If it has and the block was board then you may want to try and find one that is 'freash' or still factory boar...
    .02c

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The older 4 bolt 350's (pre 1978) had thicker castings,and are more desireable than the later ones--check the numbers on the block BEFORE they get planed off when they deck the block,located just in front of the passenger side head..I'd verify the fact its a 4 bolt by looking at the main bearing caps with the pan off--engine codes and other things dont always jive when it comes to 4 bolt mains,looking at it is the only sure way to tell.....:crazy:

4. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure it was not running before, cause a bearing was shot, but who i am buying it from is giving me everything i need for a engine, and the block was never bored over before, but we had to go .03" over, cause of some small dings in the cylinder wall.
    And it is for sure a 4bolt main, it looks like it came out of a old combine or a industrial application because of the intake. And i will check the numbers i am sure it is pre 78 but i will double check.

Also what would you guys say about making a 383 this guy has a 400 crank that needs to be cut. DO you think i should go for a 383 or a 350. What are you opinions.