Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 -> 496 swap this weekend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Jul 20, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

My dad is coming over with a crane on Sunday to do the heavy lifting. What sort of things should I buy ahead of time so as to be prepared? The plan is not necessarily to get everything hooked up and running but just get the motor & tranny in & mounted. Then I can work out the details (xfer case) at my own pace. The truck he's bringing has a big crane, welders, torches, etc etc on it. Should be cool to play with.

Should I go ahead and buy an extra set of motor mounts or some extra bolts or what?

I've got buckets for all the fluids, plenty of hand, air & power tools plus what is on the truck. I got a few bottle jacks, a nice floor jack, possibly a second. I've got the haynes manual for the K5, jack stands and a whole saturday to prepare.

I've read the posts about engine swaps but they are kinda vague as far as preparation goes and little knick knacks required to make it sucessful.

anyone's tips are greatly appreciated.

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i would personally pull the motor by itself. my dad and i have pulled mult motors and trannys as a combo and im sick of it. its constant fighting and leaking fluid everywhere. Ive never done a 4x4 like this but if you unbolt the trann/t-case from the block you can drop them and slide them out it the truck is up high enough. if you've got a motorcycle jack itll make it way easier.

clean EVERYTHING i sucks otherwise. dirt in the eyes **** like that

3. SkysTheLimit

I planned to pull the 350 out w/o the tranny. i was contemplating trying to put the new motor in with the tranny attached. I figured if i took the grill out i could slip it in as one peice. we'll see how that logic holds up...

any advice for dressing up the engine compartment while i got the motor out? I have a 3100psi washer at my disposal. any recomendations on some soap or degreaser i can run through the pressure washer?

thanks all!

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i am in the process of an engine swap in my ranger. (itll get finished at some point :rolleyes: ) after i pulled the motor. I pressure washed the hell outa everything. then i taped off what didnt need to get painted and then sprayed it with a grayish tint. it looks pretty good i can get you a pic if you want.

as for a soap/degreaser, my washer doesnt let it mix in, i used a wire wheel and buffed all the grease off. then i sprayed everything with simple grean and let it sit then i sprayed it all off again. This is where lotsa patience comes in handy.

5. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I do lots of this kinda work, mostly engine replacements and I've got to be honest, you sound a little more prepared then most. But, that whole tranny still bolted up install idea is probably not gonna work out as nicely as you wished. It's always a big ole fight getting three mounts to line up at once, lots of pushing, pulling, prying, and lest we forget the inevitble blood letting.

If it was me I would install the motor seperate from the trans, I just don't like the fight that always comes with that unwieldly beast known as a transmission.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Castrol makes a cleaner in a purple bottle. I think it is called Super Clean. I use it to wash valve covers,etc. Just spray it on and let it sit a few minutes, then hit it with the pressure washer. Oven cleaner works pretty well, also, but it will eat paint.:eek1:

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Just thought of something else. Find some bolts the same pitch and diameter as the tranny to block bolts, only longer. Cut the heads off and grind a slot in the cut ends for a large scrrewdriver. Install in the block, then remove one at a time once the tranny is aligned.:D

8. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I use the Zep line of products for degreasing, it's the best I have used personally. Spray on and hit it with the pressure washer (hot water).

9. SkysTheLimit

Thanks guys for all the tips. The tranny bolt idea sounds great. I'll have to give that a shot. I'm going to make a run down to the parts store tomorrow and see if I can find the super clean or the zep products. I may resort to the oven cleaner. I hadn't thought of that and I was planning to try to shoot some paint in there while I was at it anyway.

I bought the double shot kit of that rust bullet stuff and I'm going to paint the front of the frame with it and top coat bedliner. I think that'd look cool. Maybe straight black, don't know. The rest of the compartment, haven't decided. Probably stick with current color scheme.

Wow. I'm not that patient normally. I think if I wasn't under a time crunch I could swing it but living in a deed restricted community has it pros & cons. Technically I'm not allowed to work on my vehicle. I have to have it all at least looking like it runs by sunday night. :crazy:

10. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to say...........................................I hate you:D j/k. Man I would kill for a BB one day.

11. SkysTheLimit

:D I wasn't planning for a BB upgrade but a deal came along I couldn't refuse. This was me for about a week with the wife: :bow:

A guy at work needed to get rid of his drag camaro. The price I paid, i should be able to sell all the extra crap I got, keep the motor & a built TH400 and just about break even. Bascially, freebie. I'll be giving Project Torque a run for it's money with this. :wink1: