Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 Bellhousing pattern

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ColoradoCJ7, Sep 25, 2002.

1. ColoradoCJ7

ColoradoCJ7 Newbie

I am looking into swapping a late model 350 into my Jeep CJ-7. I already have a GM '92 or '93 NV4500 (has the 6.34 low first gear). The guy I bought it from gave me the bellhousing he had mated to a '95 TBI truck motor in his jeep. My question is - did GM ever change the Bellhousing to Block pattern in the newer engines? I thought I read somewhere that the newer '00 or '01 and later motors have a different pattern? The reason I ask is because I can chose from a '00 or a '01 Vortec... I want to make sure my NV4500 and bellhousing will still work? Do they still offer 5.7L in '01? Didn't they change to 5.3L? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I don't think they changed, but I am by no means an expert. I know the 8.1 has the same pattern, but I don't know about the new small blocks.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

all chevy's have the same pattern /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. ColoradoCJ7

ColoradoCJ7 Newbie

So if I put in a 5.3L (rather than a 5.7) Vortec, I can still use my NV4500?

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure there are some differences in bell housing bolt pattern in the Gen III engines (4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 5.7LS1) vs. the Gen I and II. I have not seen a definitive answer to this question though. I do know that they use a full circle bell housing that has bolts that attach to the oil pan which is also a structural member. Not sure if the top bolts are the same pattern as the Gen I and II though.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes you can /forums/images/icons/smile.gif