Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 cam upgrade

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by big pappa b, May 13, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I going to upgrade the cam in the burb before I run out and buy a diesel. I hate car payments. The burb has a 350 vortec motor, hydraulic roller cam. The one that's in it is a L98 flavor. Guess it was a good cam for a car and does well on the flat land but these long hills REALLY slow me down (25-30mph :mad: )
    I've already talked to Comp Cams and have their recommendation. Still need to call Crane and get their opinion.
    Anyone here upgraded their cam? Which one? and do you like it?

Thanks

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Anything for low end torque would help with towing. Also, what tires and gears do you have in the burb? They make the biggest difference if you don't have a super torque motor.

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

The gears are 4:10 and the tires are 245/75/16 or about 30.5". This seems to be an ideal tire/gear according to the chart on 4Lo.com. The cam and chip change will hopefully help quite a bit

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like a great tire and gear combo. A good cam for low end torque should help out a lot.

5. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

FWIW, I had a 350 TBI in a tow rig with 4.10's, no OD and 35's a few years ago. It had a Comp "torque" cam, supposedly the wildest that would cooperate with the computer. It towed quite well for a 350. That engine is now in my jeep. It runs better than your average 350 TBI, and does not show any negative side effects from the cam swap.