Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 carb on a 500? and water in auto tranny question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Mar 8, 2005.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

The carb that the 500 came with is in not so great shape. I have a 350 carb that is in pretty good shape. Could i just rejet the 350 carb and slap it on the 500? If so how do i get the jets? Also a buddy of mine tried to flush out his torque converter with a garden hose. He said he did his best to get it all back out but when he put it in his truck and fired it up he got pink tranie fluid out the top of it. He was told that water in the tranie will screw the glue on the friction plates is this true? or is he fine?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

go to a parts store that has Competent employees.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Have yet to find one:blush:

4. Silver84k5

Although the people arent too friendly, The Baxters in hillsboro couple miles from my house, Seems to have 2-3 Competent employees. although one of the Employees used a Micrometer to measure the caps on my u joints, AFTER i told him the part number of the one i needed...

Napa is usually decent aswell.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Mitch, call Big A's Auto Parts here in Canby and ask for Dick (503-266-2071) that man knows his sh!t, he is who I deal with all the time :thumb:

6. Silver84k5

About the water in the tranny....

LMFAO holy ****.

Yes it will screw up the friction plates... Yes he is prolly Screwed.. maybe not right away but definatley took some life outa that Trans...

I dont see how in the Blue **** somone would think that was ok....

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes this is true :(

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol

thats someone who doesnt need to be touching trannies,, or much of anything else automotive either im sure,

hum

crazy,

personally i think an old 350 carb will run a 500 just fine, maybe possibly be a tiny bit lean if is an 80s smogger carb, maybe

but i doubt it

the plugs will tell you if its lean or not,
    white if so, and tan, gray, or black if not

is the only real way to know

run it and see

good luck

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the carbs are externally the same, then the primary rods should interchange.

You get the primary jets (only removable ones) out with a flat blade screwdriver. Take the secondary rods and hangar as well, swap them over, they will fit regardless of year.

Only problem I ever had with swapping a Q-jet from a smaller engine (not counting lean surge due to missing EGR) to larger was running out of gas when I was really getting on it. Leaning out the secondaries solved that problem.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

can you say good buy tranny. that thing now needs a rebuild. auto trannys hate h20 big time

11. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

If the tranny was not run with the water in it, would the damage still be as severe? I had a tranny and tcase get hit by a flash flood. Torque converter was safe in the garage. I pulled them to the garage, and unbolted the pan on the th400. Wouldn`t come off. Tried to persuade it with a 2x4 and lump hammer, when I got it off, there was a block of ice left on the tranny in the exact shape of the pan!:blush: Put it in front of a kerosene heater, and it still leaked tranny fluid and water for a couple days. When it was dry, I set it in a big drain pan and kept pouring fluid in the top until no more water came out the bottom. Is there any chance of this thing being O.K.?

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW I had a TH400 that had a leaking dipstick tube. Changed fluid, turned pink after a couple of days. Kept this up for about 3 fluid changes, finally figured out where the water was coming from.

Fixed the leaking seal, ran it that way for awhile. Was brutally hard on the tranny, so no idea why it really failed, but the clutches were the only failure when I disassembled it.

Nothing you can do but change the fluid and run it. Even without running it, water was in contact with steel, it probably rusted some things. If it keeps working, great, if it fails, you probably know why. :)