Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 casting numbers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Apr 26, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Where are the casting numbers on a 350 engine?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all gm sbc and bbc are driver side on lip of bellhousing of motor.

3. adamforsythe

Hello,
    Are they stamped into the block?
    Thanks
    Adam

4. adamforsythe

The only numbers I am able to pull is 207.
    But these numbers on on the pass side and drivers side on the block just under the plugs.
    Thanks
    Adam

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just as i said.

6. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They are directly behind the driver's side head on the bellhousing lip. They are not stamped, but cast into the block.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the back of engine on ledge, top part of bellhousing, the code is raised upwards liek that 207 is but not as big of numbers, scrub with wire brush or scrape with big screwdriver or something wipe with rag and there the numbers are

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

casting #s VS model #'s

The CASTING numbers are where Randy said,on the drivers side just behind the head--they get gunked up and are nearly impossible to see if the motor is in the vehicle...those numbers only tell you the cubic inch displacememt and approxamate year...there is a "clock" casted in on the other side that tells what day,month,and year it was made also...

The "other" numbers are stamped in the block just in front of the passenger side head,its hidden behind the altenator,and are often not stamped in very good--you have to be careful cleaning them not to erase them if using a wire wheel or sandpaper!-those tell what year,what vehicle,HP,type of tranny it came mated too,etc..

-I use carb cleaner and a brillo pad or 3m scotchbrite pad to clean them off--those "numbers" are actually letters,a code like CMD or something similar--any numbers next to the letter codes are part of the vehicles VIN # the motor came from...if that part of the block has NO letters or codes,either its hot,and someone ground them off--or the block was "decked" ,resurfaced in a surface grinder while being rebuilt..a factory replacement block might have the code "CE" stamped there(complete engine),and will usually have zero's or no other numbers next to it--(dealers are supposed to re-stamp the original numbers back in,but rarely do..) :crazy: