Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 Crate Motor Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarine, May 10, 2003.

1. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Here we go. I bought a new 350 crate and stuck it in my 79 Jimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now I got it started and was breaking in the cam. While doing that my plug wires caught on fire from the headers and burnt up the right bank wires. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif After rewiring and threw the starter back on she wouldn't turn over. The bedix gear would throw out but not turn the flywheel. Has anyone ever ran into this before? Could the fire have burned up the starter. The starter is a small high torque one. I tried the old one on but it wouldn't even touch the flywheel when engaged. Any and all help appreciated on this. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Did you bench-test the starter yet to see if it not only throws out the bendix, but also spins?
    First do that. If the starter works, we'll go from there.

Might also want to try unplugging the coil, then turning the engine over by hand (socket on the crank) just to make sure something isn't frozen up. I doubt it, but maybe. Also, about the burnt wires...initial startups are supposed to be hot, but maybe not that hot - what was your timing set at?

3. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Was turning the engine over by hand with the socket. That was my first check. I had the engine running and timed it at 6 degrees before tdc and running great. Then After it was timed adjusted the new carb. After everything was tuned like I said I was breaking in the cam and poof fire /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif . But i will bench test the starter and get back. Thanks

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I can't imagine a wire burning up while idling... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If he was breaking in the cam, he was *hopefully* running at 2000+ rpm.