Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 disection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy wrangler, Jan 5, 2007.

1. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

well just a few minutes ago i went out side and started to disect the 350 that me and my dad pulled from the k-20 and swaped in a rebuilt 305 :(

well the reason why we took it out was because it smoked and it smoked bad, when we first got it we imediately decided we needed a tune up. when we drained the oil all that came out was about a quart of goo, the PO said that the other PO put a new 350 in it . its a beat up farm truck and we beleve him, even more so now. well enough of that.LOL

i first took of the valve covers and noticed the rockers were loose reallly loose and one of the rods was tight(stuck). so then i decided to take off the intake, the rod wasnt even in the lifter:eek1: . so this brings me to my question

do u think that since the rockers were all screwed up, the engine smoked??? or is it that the piston seals are shot??

it smokes white not black.

here is a pic of the engine when we first got the truck,the PO spray paintedthe engine gold!!LOL

new pics013.jpg

new pics014.jpg

new pics010.jpg

new pics013.jpg

new pics014.jpg

new pics010.jpg

2. chevy wrangler

i tried search and cant come up with any thing!!!! can any one help me!!!!

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If the pushrod wasn't even in the lifter, then it should have had a miss on that cylinder. Shouldn't cause it to burn a major amount of oil though. You said all the rocker arms were loose, define loose for me. The reason I ask is because with the valve closed you should be able to move the rocker arms a little by hand. If the rockers were all very loose then it should have made alot of noise when running as well.

4. chevy wrangler

a couple of them could move and i would be able to take the push rod out, they were all like really loose,

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

That motor should have been tapping it's a$$ off, but yeah that's obviously too loose. I would still go through the engine though. Especially with the oil looking the way it did when you drained it.

6. chevy wrangler

its out of the truck. i was just tearin it down to see what was causin it too smoke

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the valve where the pushrod wasn't even in the lifter, then you could have a hole in the piston.

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

hows that