Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 engine: has fuel and spark, no start still..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Jun 15, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

got a 79 350 in a van that died while driving down a street yesterday and carb was not pumping fuel so i replaced fuel pump so now has fuel at carb and out the primary jets, i checked for spark first and it has good spark and wires routed in correct order and so im stumped, it turns over and over and over and not single hint of firing up as of yet even with spray down the carb, i havent flooded it by the amount i have sprayed in it but i think the owner dumped some fuel raw down it yesterday and other than being maybe flooded what the heck else could it be that may prevent it from firing up ??

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you have air
    you have fuel
    you have spark.
    do you have them at the right time? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Grant

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes, plus engine ran fine, it just plain died going down street, is driven everyday always ran good, he said it chugged and sputtered and died within a block, when i got to it it had no fuel at carb it was dry

thanks for anything else

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Check your timing chain to see if its broken. I had a Ferd ranger that did the exact same thing to me. Don't keep trying to crank it if it is broken. You will only cause more problems, like bent valves and the like.

Kris

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Dump a cup of gas in the carb. Put the pedal to the metal and turn the key.

If you've got spark and the fuel pump is working it has to start. Maybe check the fuel filter while you're at it.

I really can't think of anything else, brother....... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I agree.. check to ensure the timing chain or cam didn't break... however if you got spark at the plug and the pump is pumping then no broken chain... if you got fuel pumping but the dist. isn't turning then the cam can be broken...Also check to ensure your getting enough fuel to the carb.. pull fuel line and place it in a soda bottle, disconnect power to dist and turn the engine over.. it should fill the bottle quickly...did you get the pump pushrod on the cam correctly.. I know mine fough me to the end last week trying to get it set right...

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sinc eits getting spark i can rule out cam and chain, cam runs the distributor, im unsure who all knows or realizes that ???

i pulled spark plugs and a couple are dripping soaking wet.. as in i removed one and it dripped on floor mat....

i put in dry ones and well i guess the cylinders didnt dry out quite enough,, plugs soaked again realy fast,, but engine almost fired

i dunno how in the heck im gonna keep cylinders dry enough to quit soaking plugs,....

im pissed at it and if it was my van id have blown the piece of crap up by now on purpose! !

anyone know any good anti-fouling tricks ??

thanks for anything

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh and two spark plug wires were burnt onto manifolds.. one all way through. he drives it pout of town everyday like that.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Pull all the plugs and get some compressed air or a hair dryer(MAKE SURE IT'S SET ON "COOL") and blow some air into each sparkplug hole.

Leave all the plugs out for an hour or so and try again.

It sounds like the owner used a little too much gas when he tried to prime the carb, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i checked for spark first and it has good spark and wires routed in correct order

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a real strong spark? Ignition modual may have lost its strength. Sounds like a spark problem.It's there it just isn't strong enough to light the fuel.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its got a good strong spark, it flooded right back again when i put in some used dry plugs, tried to fire almost but quit cuz plugs soaked again,

leaving engien sit with no plugs overnight for 14 hours right now and getting new plugs in the AM

it is damn hard to get a wet engine to run again,..

thanks for anything else

12. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

How soaked is the venturi's and throttle plates?? Could be the new pump is pumping the fuel past the needle seats...or you got something blocking the needle seats...if the carb bowls get over filled they'll dump into the bores...

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok have now ruled out fuel or spark problem, it seems ot be timing chain jump after all, moved the wires around the cap one spot each and well it wants to run but not right, but sooo much closer than before totally

any comments or info or advice regarding cam timing that anyone wants to offer ?? whether it be about repairing this or whatever ?

thanks!

14. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Most likely your going to have to pull the timing cover to see how loose the chain is... if it is loose or you have broken off a gear tooth then it time to replace it...Don't know of any quick fixes...

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well definitely have not ruled out timing chain jumping a tooth, i have engine torn all way down to just the cover and even bolts out, so....

please tell me any tricks on 350 chevy engines how to go about removing and installing timing chain cover without having to drop oil pan to do either thing to cover.

ive heard of cutting the two ears off bottom of the cover to get them on without oil pan removal

how true ?

i tried that ionce on a 79 350 and it did not work out well at all, could not get bottom of cover on for the life of me no matter how much i trimmed and i even removed front bolts off pan..

thanks

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    please tell me any tricks on 350 chevy engines how to go about removing and installing timing chain cover without having to drop oil pan to do either thing to cover.

[/ QUOTE ]
    2 or 3 part timing cover. from what i know in order to get a good seal you have to take them both off.
    sorry man.... maybe somebody else knows a good trick. if i have had to remove one it was because i was tering the engine down to the block or the front main or oil pan was leaking. so i had to ethier way.
    Grant

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well i removed cover and it came off alot easier than i thought it would, im just gonna use RVT sealer along bottom of cover at front of oil pan.

thanks

18. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I cannot imagine a timing chain jumping a tooth. yes yes Ive heard of it many times over the years but has anyone actually SEEN this? Its virtually impossible w/o severe damage to the chain/sprockets and the chain would have to be SOOOO loose that I dont think the engine would run well enough to drive in the first place. thats my $0.02

mike

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I cannot imagine a timing chain jumping a tooth. yes yes Ive heard of it many times over the years but has anyone actually SEEN this? Its virtually impossible w/o severe damage to the chain/sprockets and the chain would have to be SOOOO loose that I dont think the engine would run well enough to drive in the first place. thats my $0.02

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have seen it, happened on my dads 350 in his burb. Didn't damage the gears what-so-ever, just the chain was super loose(original chain since 1977). But yes the motor didn't run perfect, but it did run pretty good, only felt like it needed a slight timing adjustment, although it was stretched out enough to jump 2 teeth at a time /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

20. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

how strong is the spark? the pickup coil might have taken a crap, so the spark is real low voltage...did the guy mess with the distributor? Could be 180 degrees out.