Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 engine problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90GMCBURBAN, Aug 14, 2006.

1. 90GMCBURBAN

90GMCBURBAN Newbie

Hey I was wondering if anyone had an idea whats wrong with my motor. It's always burned some anti-freeze but just today i started it up after work and it ran real rough. It felt as if I lost a cylinder. I got a good feeling that its a head gasket but not sure. I've checked all the plugs there good. When i open the hood after it runs a little bit you can smell burnt coolant. It's a TBI 350 out of an 90 suburban.

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sounds like a head gasket to me. does it blow white smoke or drip water from the exhaust?

3. 90GMCBURBAN

90GMCBURBAN Newbie

can't really tell if white smoke's comin out. and its always had a little bit of water comin out but i thought it was from condensation.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Another vote for head gasket. It could be intake manifold gasket as well. There are ways to test whether the head gasket is bad, but I would replace the head gaskets (and subsequently intake gaskets) because they are cheap and not too difficult.

5. 90GMCBURBAN

90GMCBURBAN Newbie

yeah im thinkin im gonna do them any ways cause the truck has 173,000 on it and there still original.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Honestly, SBC's are pretty damn good about head gaskets but it does happen. I have replaced head gaskets on small block Chryslers (which only have 9 head bolts, what a freakin' joke) and SBC's have 17 head bolts. Mileage doesn't mean all that much as far as head gaskets go, they can pretty much go at any time for any reason.