Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 engine question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 22, 2000.

I may have a line on another Blazer. It is an 89, but he has put an older 350 in it with a carb. He says he may have all of the TBI stuff, ie. heads, intake, TBI, harness, ECM. My questions are:
    1. Will the newer style heads fit on the old style blocks? 2. Will the newer style intake fit on the older style heads?
    He has the old motor (original) bored out .30 over that will go with the deal.
    3. Will the stock TBI work with a mildly built .30 over block?
    If it can be juiced up still running the stock TBI or needs to be to make up for the .30 over bore.
    4. What mods can I do without going to deep in my pockets.

The end state is to put the TBI back on the motor in it or rebuilb the original motor that has allready been bored .30 over. Mild, but not too wild !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Ran into some of the same stuff rebuilding my engine.
    The newer heads will fit on the old block. The old intake manifold will not fit on the new heads though. It is because of the angle of the bolts. The stock TBI will work just fine. I use it on my 383 stroker and it works great. I will eventually go to something bigger but it does supply enough fuel.
    The mods all depend on how deep in your pockets you want to go.
    Good Luck!

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I agree with Rich, the newer heads should work on the older block, but the intake probably won't fit on the older heads. Look at the angle of the 2 center bolts on the heads, they are probably different. When I bought my crate motor for my Nova, the intake changed somewhere around '86 I believe, I had to look at the motor before I got my intake for the vehicle. The older style intake (heads), had all of the bolts that were at an angle, and the newer style had the center bolts angled upward more. And, the stock TBI, should work fine, but there may be some room for improvement (tweaking). - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Just a note on the intake. I have seen poeple grind out the holes to the correct angle to make the bolts fit. They say it works fine, no leaks or anything. If money is an issue and you already have all the parts you might try that. Also I forgot to mention that you might have to get a custom chip made. I had to get one for the cam and all the extras on my engine. Not sure if a mild rebuild would require one. They are only about $100 or so and the guys takes all yor specs plug it into a computer and wham, you got a new chip for your engine. I would try it with the old chip first to avoid spending extra.
    Good Luck again!

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

4. The Blazer runs now the way it is so I can play with the extra .30 over motor and maybe make it a stroker. Who knows I still have to go check out the K-5 first to see if it is in good enough condition.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!