Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 engines into a 85

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Jul 26, 2001.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

My father and I planned on rebuilding my 305 but he just had his 8th back surgery and I dont think we will get it done, so I am just going to get a new 350 and put it in. I have a few questions though...
    After 86 they started putting in fuel injection engines didnt they? And they wont go into the earlier ones without haveing to switch everything right? And the 350 will go in place of my 305 without any problems right. I dont need a 350 but I want one I figure since my 305 needs rebuilt why not just do the 350 instead of rebuilding the 305 and then dpwn the road putting in a 350. So thats the deal replies greatly appreciated.

1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. 1970 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition steering column shift.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My 85 has been converted from a 305 to a Goodwrench crate 350. Nothing needed changed, other than installing a new pigtail for the oil pressure sender, after I neglected to disconnect it prior to yanking the 305.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

'85 or so (maybe later, not sure of exact year) engines started going to the one piece rear mains, and that requires different flexplate or flywheel depending on what you have.

Whichever yours has now, get the same (one or two piece rear main) and everything should bolt right up.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Also make sure the block that you get has the oil dip-stick on the same side as your old one, or you will have to get a new oil pan too.

5. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the shared knowledge guys! Anyone else have some advice for me?

1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. 1970 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition steering column shift.