Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 flywheel for 383? Local machinist?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by TopOff, Apr 9, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I was TOLD a 350 flywheel can be balanced by a machinist "in the know". Apparently these just need to be balanced...
    1) Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    2) Is there a Machinist in NOR CAL (Sacramento or east of Sacramento) area?

TIA

TopOff

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i don't think that is true, but even if it is, why risk it when you can get a extrenally blanaced one from summit for $55??

you are building the wrong engine if you are going for a cheap build.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It's already built. I am converting it to manual.

The question is, can I GET A $55 balanced 350 flywheel? Or do I need to get the $225 balanced 400 flywheel???

No one seems CERTAIN. THAT is the problem. Hence, I am looking for a machinist who can TELL me what's up... Since, I am not from the Sacramento area, I am not familiar with who I can trust.

I suppose I can call my machinist in the bay area...

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Send a PM to 4X4HIGH (Scott) He runs a machine shop in Fremont. He will be able to tell you.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if it a 400 (factory) crank, you need a externally balanced flywheel (PN TCI-399373) and externally balanced harmonic balancer(PN SUM-161400) from sumitt (1-800-230-3030)

where did you get the 400 crank? did you have it machined down to fit the 350 block or was it an after market crank?

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Blinker.

I got the whole assembly as a kit. KB Hypuereptetic (whatever) pistons, 400 crank machined down to 350 standard journals. The assembly came pre-balanced and marked. Then I had my 350 block machined.

It's already running with a flexplate now, damn auto. The TH350 is good, I just don't like autos.
    Besides, I wanted to go with the doubler and a stick. So I got all the parts sm465/203 and a TH400/205. Just need to pay the last one for a doubler, and stuff it in there!
    First I need a flywheel!
    I can't beleive the flywheel is $200+!

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you already have a zero balance 350 flywheel? There is a company that makes a bolt-on balance plate to convert a 350 to an external balance flywheel. I had seen them for sale in the summit catalogue before but I just looked in the newest book and did not see it there anymore. Give summit a call and ask about the balance plate and they should be able to help you.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have no idea if the 350 flywheel I have is a ZERO flywheel, I don't even know what that means... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I will call summit and see what they might say, I expect them to tell me to get a 400 flywheel.

Interested in the balance plate, as I don't expect to be turning more than 5k rpms... EVER! (not in this truck).

9. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Hey nick I am in Sacramento. There are a couple of machine shops in sacto area. Call Rex Racing in Carmichael on Auburn Blvd. He is a good shop. There is also Dell's Machine shop where my b/f has his machine work done. The guy there is very knowledgeable also. I can't remember what street Dells is on.. He is located around the corner behind 4 wheel parts wholesalers. What part of Sacto are you in? Welcome.

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It looks like the balance plate is for FLEXPLATES, not flywheels. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Hey Nick.. I called my boyfriend Dells is on Wooley Way. He said he HIGHLY recommends them. He just built a motor for his truck and they did all his work and did an awesome job.. and gave great advice.

He also said that he believes you need to use the 400 flywheel, because you use a 400 crank.. but he said there isn't much difference between the two... believes they have the same number of teeth.. Guess the machine shop would know more. Where in sac are you?

There is a shop on Sunrise in Rancho that does bead blasting... but I don't remember what they are called. Looks like Chaz is helping you with that though.

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I work in Sac, live in Folsom.

So anything between the two or otherwise, works! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks for the info.

13. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

NO problem. Let me know if you need to order anything from LMC .. I'll hook you up.

Sara...
    We are over off of Madison/I80. I work downtown.