Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 Goodwrench motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Sep 24, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I thought the Goodwrench 350 had the Vortec heads. But I was looking at sdpc.com and they indicated that they were not Vortec heads. I thought the old Goodwrench 350 were not Vortec, but all the new ones were made using Vortecs. Anyone know?
    And what's the deal with the oil dipstick? In another post it indicated that it can use a left or a right dipstick, which means you have to use a GM gasket. I like the one-piece oilpain gaskets and don;t want to HAVE to buy parts at the dealer.
    Is there anything else about this engine that's not immediately apparent?
    My plan is to run my current 350 into the ground then buy a Goodwrench, but I don't like suprises.

2. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

One thing

The engines have a nice little sticker that says GM goodwrench 350 Detriot Mich. they must put that sticker on after the engines are shipped up from Mexico where they are made. I have one in my current Jimmy but will never use another. Nor will I reuse the block.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think there are two categories: The GM Goodwrench engines and the GM Performance Crate Engines.

The Goodwrenches are simple, stock-like performance engines. With little or no upgrades over what your Blazer came with. These are the cheap ones

The famous Crate Engines are the ones with carefully selected cams, Vortec heads, higher compression ratios, etc. These will give you lots of horsepower but are more expensive. The cheapest Vortec is #12486041 for $2,079.00 at http://www.sdpc2000.com and gives 330HP @ 5000rpm and 369 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm

I read on a magazine that they got a new Goodwrench engine. Replaced cam, cyl heads, intake and carb and they were able to get almost 400hp from that thing.

Someone posted a long while ago that the Mexican blocks are made from a weaker metal, but so far I've never heard anybody complaining about them.

When my engine (stock 350) dies, I'll buy all the parts to try to recreate the Crate 383 truck engine. I think it's cheaper to rebuild than to buy a new engine.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue> I think that you only get the Vortec heads on the performance motors. The same motor that I bought about 4-5 years ago (300hp) is now the 330 hp motor (except I don't have the heads, and it has a different cam). On the uviversal motor, I didn't know (I don't see how) that you could put the dipstick on either side. Also, the GM line is like a stock replacement, and the motor that you are looking at (link below), is just a generic motor to fit different applications.- Steve</font color=blue>
    http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/gen350.html (universal engine)
    http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Discus/board.html (This is a message board from this dealer)
    <font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I had a goodwrench 350 and it lasted for a while. I am not sure about blocks being weak but i can tell you that there are no premium parts to this engine, cast everything, and a dog cam (duration is like 194 @ .050 which is pitiful) Also the compression is way down even for gm's advertised 8.5. I think it is actually in the 7s somehere. You could probably pee in the gas tank and this motor would run. I would not use this engine unless I was going to upgrade it a lot, but what would the point of that be when it is made of weaker internals. I would look at another gm engine or at another source. I bought a motor from speed-o-motive and was very happy with it. Check with them or any reputable company like American Speed etc. Just my .02 though. HTH's

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I'M RUNNING THE GOODWRENCH 350 IN MY 1985 AND IT RUNS GREAT. THE STICKER STATED THAT IT'S MADE IN CANADA NOT MEXICO. I CHANGED THE CAM TO AN EDELBROCK PERFORMER ALONG WITH THE PERFORMER MANIFOLD. I ALSO USED A ONE PIECE PAN GASKET WITH NO PROBLEMS. I'LL BUY ANOTHER ONE FOR $1250.00 BEFORE I WASTE MONEY ON REBUILDING A USED MOTOR. JUST MY OPINION OF COURSE.

STEVE FRISBIE
    1985 M1009

7. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

The magazine chevy high performance had a extensive write up on the base (back then sept 99 $1,190) crate 350 engine.
    If you change the cam the 50K 2aranty is void.

With cast iron manifolds they got 324 Hp at 3700 RPM and 239 peak tork at 4100.
    Adding headers HP peak 349 at 3600 and tork peak 255 at 4400
    Also adding edelbrock preformer intake went to HP peak 350 at 3600 and tork 265 at 4200.

Claimed chevy compression was 8.1 measured was better at 8.4

Overall a low output engine.
    Headers and manifold Ok but change anything internal like cam and kiss the 36 month 50K mile waranty goodbye.

I would either go this crate of pay 3K for the 9.0 CR 383 that chevy is putting out this month. That is a tow engine but you only get a one year waranty.

Yes the base crate is lower nickle which is less hard but that is really not a problem for street use.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It looks like you have the HP and torque numbers backwards. 239 hp and 324 ft/lbs of torque sounds about right for a stockish 350.

Rene

[​IMG]

9. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Correct I switched them

Low light small print and old eyes.
    Sorry for crossing up HP and tork numbers.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Correct I switched them

[​IMG] I figured it was something like that!

Rene

[​IMG]

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One of my friends had a Burb with a Goodwrench motor in it. It was completely worthless and he hated it. Save the money for a Performance Parts motor.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

To all - How can I find out what 350 Goodwrench Motor I have? Where can I find this sticker and/or serial number(s). My rig originally had a 305, and I'd like to find out how old this 350 is. Thanks, Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

13. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Try checking the casting numbers on the block.

14. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

Good luck finding out what it came out of or any information about it from the gm dealer I have been told by three different dealers in my area that my old motor came out of three different trucks. Don't they have the same info or do they try to guess?

15. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Found that car craft article. The compression stock is 7.8. It went to 8.4 after they installed the extra thin head gaskets. Also i think that the block for the goodwrench 350 is the same as any production block of that era as far as nickel content is concerned. If you look in the gm performance parts book they list this block as well as production 350's and 305's in the same catagory for power handling. HTH