Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 hard to start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zooman, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

I have a 78 chev with a 350. I just put on an eldebrock intake and eldebrock carb. I realy have to crank the engine over for about 10 minutes before it will start. Then it run fine.
    Before I put the intake and carb on the truck it had a 2 barrel carb and it started the same way. I just figured it was the carb causing the problem.

I have put in an off road needle and seats into my elebrock carb as well. I am going to check the timing tomorrow to see if that helps and maybe some new plug wires.
    Could this hard starting just be timing?
    Thanks alot
    Matt

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My vote is for the timing. Maybe the timing chain is stretched too....

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how does it run once it does start...does it blow black smoke out like there's a lot of fuel being burned up? sounds like it could be timing, or a worn pushrod for the fuel pump...

4. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

I haven't been able to check my timing yet (I forgot to borrow one from the father in law).
    There is not choke set up right now. I did notice the my clear feul filter was pretty much empty and after I cranked it over it filled up slightly and then started after a while. Then all day long the filter has stayed right full and the truck starts now problem.
    Is it normal for the fuel filter to empty like that?