Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 in a 1 Ton????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGJ, Jun 3, 2002.

1. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

So I'm looking at this 91 model 4 door 1 ton chevy. It's a dually 4x4 with a D60 and an SM465 & 205 for $2500. It's fuel injected, but it has a small block. What's the deal with using a small motor in a 1 ton? Did GM assume that a manual with a small block will pull the same as a 454 with an auto? It has a decent towing capacity, but I really want to use it as a tow rig for my blazer. I hate to pass the truck up, but I think the 350 will be a dog when it's loaded down and I'm pulling up big hills, even with the 4.11 gears. The only thing I could compare it to towing is my dads Ford Power Stroke, and that's not even a fair comparison. I have towed lots of stuff with a 350 but it's all been behind an auto, not to mention this truck will weigh a LOT more than what I had, so my thoughts are it will suck going cross country loaded down.

What do you guys think? Will the small block work, or should I try and find a big block truck? Or just swap a BB in later?

BIGJ

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The real question is not whether it will tow it or not, I'm sure it will. The real question is going to be your personal preference as to how much power it has available when towing and how fast you want to go up hills. When I used to work for a construction company is the summer they had a bunch of 1-ton dually flatbeds that came with 6 cylinder engines.

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I really think you need to pass on this one! Bye the way, where exactly is this truck??? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ MRCHEVY. Where about in Arkansas???/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

John

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ MRCHEVY. Where about in Arkansas???/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

John

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The drivetrain is worth more than $2500 by itself...

Hmmm, fuel injected 350, D60, 14 bolt FF, 32 spline SM 465/ NP 205 combo with hydro clutch...sounds like a wish list!

Rene

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, wish list for sure /forums/images/icons/cool.gif. That's why I don't really want to pass it up, even if it is a dually. Guess I'll make it a tow rig and try to get a BB later.

BIGJ

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You are absolutely right! If I knew where it was it would already be sold! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wanna convert to auto?/forums/images/icons/wink.gif I'd take that tranny/t-case off yer hands!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rene

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Definitely a good buy if it is in good shape. You can always sell the 350 and buy a 454 later. That is pretty much the truck I'm looking for except I want a single rear wheel crew cab and (like you) the 454 (and maybe an auto). If that was a SRW truck with 350 but otherwise in good shape, I would buy it...

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I would guess the SBC were available in approximately 20% of all the K30's ever made.

I have seen a few but not too many. Most motors I have seen were 454's, of course, and then diesels were a close second.

I still have not seen a 6 cylinder K30 yet. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You better take that thing and run! Or I'll kick you next time we go out on a run! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Wish I had a $2500 tow rig for my truck! 350 or not, that would be too cool! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan