Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 interchange...parts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Feb 27, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Are cyl. heads interchangeable on all 350 blocks? Have an 87 block with centerbolt cast iron heads and was wondering if the older style heads would fit this block. Also will older exhaust manifolds fit these newer heads?

Oh yea, also was wondering what the difference is between a K code engine and an M code are? Are the internals of the 87 blocks the same? Trying to figure out which rebuild kit I need for my block. Block casting # 14093638 Cyl. head # 14102193 This engine has no intake, so I'm unsure as to whether or not it was carb. or TBI. Help is much appreciated!
    Sam

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I believe they are interchangeable. Other things come to play, though. Like different compression ratios, and different intake manifolds. Also, I believe 1987 and on use roller lifters held by some kind of frame. You should check if that frame bolts to the cyl head or to the block.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, the earlier heads will work on the later block. If you are going to run TBI you will need to purchase one that will bolt on. GM changed the angle of the 4 center bolts starting in 1987. You could also modify the TBI intake to fit by elongating the bolt holes on the 4 center holes and machining the surface square so the bolts seat properly. The exhaust manifolds will also bolt on, GM did use some manifolds that used the seventh bolt hole on the passenger side. Just make sure you have the hole in the head or that you don't need the hole. Now as far as roller lifters, GM did not use them in truck blocks, only the camaros and vette's then later in other cars. When they did use them the craddle bolted to the block not the heads.

1989 blazer, 383 stroker, D44 / 14FF, 4.56, locked, 35 BFG mud
    Scott

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Apparently '87 on, roller lifters can easily be retrofitted to all Chev small blocks, the holes are there for the lifter retainer, they just need to be tapped.

It sickens me how cheap you can buy '87 up roller lifters for on Ebay : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. 4X4HIGH

Not all 87 on blocks are set up for roller lifters. Not only does the block need to have the stand offs for the craddle it must also have the tops of the lifter bores machined for the locators. Not all blocks have the lifter bores machined nor do all blocks have the stand offs in them. Some stand offs are already tapped and others are not.

Scott

6. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Yes, all 87 up blocks have the top of the lifter bores machined and all have the 3 standoffs for the lifter spider. All I would have to do to my 87 truck 350 core is drill(maybe) and tap the 3 bosses in the lifter valley to hold the spider that retains the lifter "8"'s which keep the lifters from rotating.

I don't know much about the cam button stuff up front though.

7. 4X4HIGH

Hey jmd. I am an automotive machinist by trade and i do lots of dealer work for the local chevy dealer. NOT all 87 up blocks are machined for roller lifters. Trust me, i have seen many that were not machined or drilled and some that didn't even have the stand offs. Just because you haven't seen any like this doesn't mean you are correct. I have seen them both ways so i can safely say you are wrong this time.

Scott