Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 Oil Filter Adaptor Gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by loafer, Mar 20, 2006.

1. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Is there suppose to be a gasket between the block and oil filter adaptor on a 350? I removed the factory oil cooler and bought a new oil filter adaptor at the dealer and the parts guy told me I didn't need to use a gasket. There was, however, a gasket between the old oil cooler adaptor and the block. Which makes me think there should be one for my new adaptor.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I just used some RTV

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of that too, but I wonder why the guy at the dealer made a point of not using a gasket?? I guess I should have asked him for a reason.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

To install a bigger, aftermarket oil cooler?

5. neverendingproject

Youre talking about the little screw thingy that sits in the block or the cooler adapter? the block adpater does not use a gasket, but the filter adapter for a cooler does.

6. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I'm removing the cooler adaptor and installing just a normal filter adaptor. So it sounds like what you are saying is the same as the dealer; no gasket.

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

No. I'm just getting rid of it. I don't think the oil coolers are neccessary up here in Maine, especially if you're not doing heavy towing. The truck came with one when I bought it (southern truck origionally), but the whole unit is just in the way. None of my other trucks have ever had one and I never had any problems.

BTW, it will probably show up in the classified section before too long:)

8. neverendingproject

then yes, no gasket.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No gasket is used between the block and the small oil filter adapter. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SILICONE. Silicone is the absolute worst thing you want to get into your oil pump. All it takes is one very small spec of silicone to freeze up an oil pump and explode an engine.

10. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys!
    No gasket it is.
    Good point about the silicone Scott.

11. 4X4HIGH

FINALLY, someone is going to listen to me. :deal:

12. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

NO Gasket! Yeah Buddy!

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How is a piece of silicone going to stop this? I 100% agree, silicone is not a good thing to have circulating in your engine, but those pumps will flatten small pieces of metal and pit the rotors before they get even close to stopping, or even breaking the rod that runs them. Silicone WON'T stop here, that's more a problem I'm sure. I don't have pictures of the race engine pumps that had chunks of metal go through them, rotors were pitted, bottom plate was scored, but didn't phase the pump. For the record, this is a Diesel Oldsmobile pump, but Chev is similar.
    [​IMG]

And unless the pump has been run dry, (or had junk go through it) I don't see them ever failing. Spring yes, otherwise no. This pump had over 200,000miles on it when I pulled it. And had been sitting in the woods uncovered for about 3 years. lol

14. 4X4HIGH

I have rebuilt many engines with a froozen oil pump due to silicone. Believe what you wish but it can and does happen. The way i see people use silicone scares the hell out of me. I could build about 100 engines before i ever used up 1 tube of silicone.

The only place i use silicone is at the 4 corners of the oil pan and also the 4 corners of the intake manifold and nowhere else.

15. dyeager535

I'm just asking, that's all. With the screen in place, how does silicone even get to the rotors? If metal will run through the pump, how does silicone freeze a pump up? I HAVE seen screens covered almost entirely with silicone and obviously that would tear up the pumps (and probably freeze them up as everything wore) along with evrything else when starved of oil.

16. 4X4HIGH

First off, i want to apologize if it sounded like i was jumping on you. To me it sounded like you were saying it wasn't possible.

I suppose you could look at silicone as you would water, it doesn't compress. What happens when you try to compress water in a cylinder of an engine, it will hydraulic, same happens with silicone.

17. dyeager535

No no, I wouldn't ask questions or challenge if I didn't think there was something to learn (or that I was right lol) so I try my best not to get worked up or read too much into the way things are written.

So what happened with the motors/oil pumps you see that had this happen to them? Did the pumps stop and the shaft broke, or cam problems, or? How did enough get in there past the screen? Was it sheer quantity of particles?

Like I said, the one I saw just had tons of silicone pieces on the pump screen, but most didn't appear small enough to fit through, thus the clogged screen. No idea how a PO managed to get that much silicone in there lol.